Sign in to follow this  
baddad

At the risk of sounding a bit anal...

I think I saw one of those 'TV Mistakes' that saddos sit huddled watching in slo-mo for so they can send them in to the beeb...

I wasn't even watching - just channel hopping - but there's this thing on called 'This is England 86' or some such and there was this bloke sitting on a sofa eating a bowl of breakfast cereal. Now I can't be certain, and I couldn't find the answer on t'internet with a quick search, but does anyone happen to know when Cheerios arrived in the UK? :unsure::whistle:

L&P

BD :D

A BIT anal.....!

The most exciting bit of telly I saw this week was Kay Burley on Sky News interviewing an MP about journos hacking mobiles and with one eye on her employer saying it was all a bit of a storm in a teacup.

"You sound a bit dim, madam, if you don't mind me saying" he replied as he went on to verbally run rings round her.

Watching "The Young Ones" last night was fascinating and I'll definitely be following it up tonight.

But I have no idea when Cheerios came to the UK. I have a feeling it might be earlier than you think.

Oh no, I can't believe I might now be late for work because I've been researching Cheerios on the Internet - thanks Baddad ;). I didn't know they were so huge in the States and that there are so many different types :hypno:. I must say the ones in this country are a bit boring. Couldn't find the answer to your question though, sorry.

Oh no, I can't believe I might now be late for work because I've been researching Cheerios on the Internet - thanks Baddad ;). I didn't know they were so huge in the States

Yes, they are huge in the states - the size of big donuts - and you can only fit one in a bowl at a time. They have been cited as one of the major reasons for the US obesity problem, because rather than settling for 'just the one' many Americans have been using their swimming pools as giant bowls, filling them up, diving in and eating their way out again (see Simpson, H v General Mills, 2007).

They did introduce a gourmet range in the early eighties featuring Pigeon Breast & Pickled Pear flavour, Roast Duck & Sour Cherry flavour and Twiglet flavour. Only the Twiglet flavour remains in production, though why they were ever included in the 'gourmet' range in the first place remains a mystery.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused, but if you do track down an arrival-in-uk date please let me know.

Meanwhile, in what year did 'Aztec' bars get taken out of production? :ph34r:

L&P

The UK television advert listings have an entry for Cheerios dated 1984: here. I assume adverts for such a product would begin at a similar time to the product arriving in the UK. You may have to put your letter of complaint on hold.

Are polos, Cheerios and spaghetti hoops made in the same factory just with different input ingredients? :unsure::sick:

The UK television advert listings have an entry for Cheerios dated 1984: here. I assume adverts for such a product would begin at a similar time to the product arriving in the UK. You may have to put your letter of complaint on hold.

Are polos, Cheerios and spaghetti hoops made in the same factory just with different input ingredients? :unsure::sick:

:lol::clap: Well that's that one sorted then... perhaps they should have called them GeorgeOrwellios in the UK?

Cheerios are spag hoops with the sauce washed off, left to dry in the sun for three-four days. For Polos they kiln dry them overnight, then dip them in toothpaste. You can make them yourself at home, but just like home-dried tomatoes in the oven it's not very cost-effective unless you have an Aga.

Another interesting fact - did you know that spaghetti hoops are knitted by the same team of granny outworkers who knit shreddies? Don't ask me how they join the ends up - it's a closely guarded trade secret, but i think it involves superglue...

How do I know all this stuff? My dad worked in the food industry... He died in the great baked bean wars of '73. He was a rear gunner for Cross & Blackwell and he bought it when outflanked by one of Heinz's banger 'n' bean messerchmidts. I tell you, those mini-frankfurters only make a tiny hole going in but when they come out the other side... :o Hollowpoints, apparently. Have you seen that scene in 'Catch 22' where the medical guy rolls over the downed pilot? Which brings us neatly back to spaghetti... a spaghetti 'hoop', no less...

L&P

Edited by baddad

Ugghhh, please don't talk about Polos - I have disturbing memories associated with those things :crying:. I had a nan who I didn't like because she was always really nasty to my mum (her own daughter :angry:) but mum still loved her so I had to visit once a week. When I left she would always force on me a handful of hot and sweaty polos and make me eat one in front of her - it really is just too traumatic to remember :wacko:.

:D