lin1223

how to tell a older sister

Hi, We have just been told my 12 yrs has ASD and learning diffacalties, Please can anyone tell me how to explain this to her older sister,how feels left out and just whats same time with us, as must off the time are running around after sister with ASD.

Hi, We have just been told my 12 yrs has ASD and learning diffacalties, Please can anyone tell me how to explain this to her older sister,how feels left out and just whats same time with us, as must off the time are running around after sister with ASD.

Sutherland house/NORSACA have published some booklet for brothers and sisters, one for autism, and one for able autism (asperger syndrome). I think these are pretty good at explaining some of the difficulties in a fairly simple way. They are about £3 plus post and packaging I think. See the following link for publications list order form (the siblings booklets are listed on page 2)

http://www.norsaca.org.uk/docs/OrderForm-Sept09.pdf

If you have a local support group then these may allow you to loan books that will help explain to a sibling, or try your local library. The charity cerebra also do a postal lending library, You have to register with them and then they send you a list of books, you contact them to choose one and they post to you with a stamped addressed envelope for you to return them. Not sure if they have titles relating to explaining to siblings but its worth a look. They also loan sensory toys.

http://www.cerebra.org.uk/parent_support/Library/

Edited by westie

Also may be worth contacting a local support group to see if there are siblings groups running in the area, some groups do offer support and groups for siblings of ASD, and the autism communication team ran some residential activities in the summer where sibs could do lots of fun stuff and get chance to discuss their feelings about their sibling with autism in an accepting and understanding environment. I think this would be of great benefit as its not always possible to open up to a family member as many are scared of hurting feelings etc. There may also be groups for your child with ASD as well, so they both benefit.

the National Autistic Society also run Help 2 courses about supporting siblings (for you to attend), there may be one in your area see the link below:

http://www.autism.org.uk/directory/search-results/pg=1/resources/8665.aspx

Take care X