Sign in to follow this  
gorby928

When should we tell our son that he has Aspergers?

Hi

I was just wondering when we should tell our son he has Aspergers ? AJ is 8 now and was diagnosed at 3,he is quite happy at home and in school,he has his ways and moods but all in all he is quite content.We are going on a trip tomorrow with a local ASD group (our first) so I just want to be pepaired incase I get 20 questions :blink: .

All the best Gorby

I was only diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 25. I wish I had known a lot earlier why I was different instead of blaming myself.

You don't have to explain it all at once. In fact, it's probably better if it's an informal, relaxed conversation so he doesn't feel like it's something that's difficult to talk about. You can talk about the positives as well as the difficulties.

I agree it's a good idea to say something before the group tomorrow.

Yep, tell him now in a relaxed way and just let him ask whatever questions he wants. Beth had her diagnosis at 9 1/2 and was really relieved to get it. She asked a few questions for a few weeks but rarely mentions it now.

Hi everyone

Thanks for the replys,well the trip went well I did tell AJ that he had autism/aspergers but to be honest he kind of just brushed it off ? He enjoyed the day out and just enjoyed the momment.I will try and explain it to him again soon but I will wait for the momment because he doesnt like me to go on about stuff and once again thank you so much for your comments and enjoy your weekend. :thumbs:

Tell him right now. The sooner the better!

If I haden't been told at an early age, I would have had a much harder time than I did.

EDIT: Just noticed the post above :oops:

Edited by AutisticMillionaire

Well I am glad he has not taken it badly and that he enjoyed his day out :)

Some people with Asperger's take a little time to process things. It might be that he will have some questions in a few days as he thinks the news over.

Maybe you can explain bits and pieces as and when issues come up. Bit by bit sounds like a good approach.