Sign in to follow this  
bettyhen

Child friendly counsellors Scotland?

We moved to Scotland in August and my 7 year old son started a new school. I much prefer it to the old one and although my son says he doesn't like it because they make him write, he goes in without the separation anxiety he had before. His behaviour is very good and though there have been social issues, school have helped immediately and htey try to ensure he has people to play with. He has asked to go to discos and after school clubs!

At home, however, he is vile. He is very angry going from 0 to 60 in seconds flat. He is violent towards us - hitting and biting - and no sanctions or rewards seem to work even though we are consistent. His behaviour is making the whole family unhappy and I shrink away whenever he runs toward me because I'm expecting to be hit. Our Camhs referral has not come through but I think we need to do something ASAP and wondered if anyone had any suggestions of good counsellors/play therapists. We are an hour from Glasgow and 40 minutes from Stirling. I am very wary of just picking someone off a list as I think he needs careful handling. He would like to talk to someone, I think.

Alternatively, any practical suggestions would be useful. I'm quite desperate to be honest.

Hi.

I think you may be better to push for an urgent CAMHS referal rather than going private.

Play therapists do not have to have Statutary qualifications.There are very few counsellors qualified to work with children.Anyone can advertise as a counsellor.

The UKCP provides a register of counsellors and psychotherapists.However these do not include professionals registered to work with children.

CAMHS professionals do not always have a lot of experience in ASD.However I would still look to CAMHS first.

Private play therapy or counselling could also be very expensive.

Karen.

[Thanks - I will push but don't know how long it will take. It's such a nightmare when your child is permanently angry!

Hi.

Ben was never permanently angry but was very frustrated and anxious at one time.I do appreciate how difficult it is to manage as a parent.Ben had some excellent support from CAMHS.

I have extensive experience of psychotherapy with CAMHS and privately.I do think pushing and waiting for appropriate supportive intervention can be more helpful than starting on a course of action which makes things worse. :)

Karen.