Sign in to follow this  
Mumble

DVLA

Some time ago I had my driving licence taken away by the DVLA on health grounds. I know I am not safe to drive and there is no way I would risk my life or that of other road users by getting behind the wheel.

My GP and neurologist acknowledge that I am not safe to drive and this is one of the reasons I get a Freedom pass and it was also included in my DLA application.

Therefore, I was rather shocked/confused to get home to an envelope from the DVLA containing my driving licence. There was no letter of explanation.

So what do I do now? Obviously I'm not going to drive, however, having a driving licence is actually really useful as ID which has your photo and address - I've sometimes had real difficulty since not having a licence as I haven't had appropriate ID.

My concern is that if the Freedom Pass or DLA people find out I now have a driving licence they may think my health has improved dramatically and may take away my benefit. In fact, nothing has changed.

What do you think I should do? :unsure:

I think your need for the Freedom Pass and DLA is probably greater than your need for ID.

Does your Freedom Pass have a photo? Perhaps that, accompanied by a recent back statement, would provide the same evidence of ID as a driving licence. You will need to buy a bigger handbag to carry it all!

I do think you are going to have to send it back :(

You could include a brief letter explaining that you are still too unwell to drive. If they want a doctor's note they can write back to you and ask for one.

Hi.

A passport and evidence of your address [such as DWP letter or bank statement] is usually ok to use as ID and proof of address.My husband has never learned to drive.

Karen.

Thanks Tally and Karen.

Had a letter today from the DVLA saying they'd received medical documentation that I was now safe to drive. I think they must have mixed up their records as I'm currently waiting an urgent neurology appt. due to increased seizure activity - I'm def. not safe to drive. It's quite worrying that they could make this mistake; I would never risk mine or others' lives by driving, but I'm sure some people in this situation would go wayhey, and start driving with potentially devastating consequences.

It does sound like they've got mixed up somewhere! Some poor person is probably wondering where their driving licence is.