Porillion

A Screening Process Before being Assessed?

Hi,

Thank you again for your help in the past when I was deciding whether to ask my GP for a referral for assessment for adult AS. I can tell you that I followed all your advice, including taking that from the National Austistic Society website, and she agreed to refer me.

Yesterday, I received a letter from a local charity who work in partnership with my county council and local NHS PCT. Before I can (maybe) see a psychologist for "a full diagnosis", I must first meet with the charity's support worker to "for a brief talk and [to] ask you a few questions. If this confirms the likelihood of Asperger syndrome, we will then refer you to a clinical psychologist." My fiancee phoned the charity and it turns out that the support worker has no formal qualifications, but does "have lots of experience". My fiancee, who is a registered staff nurse, thinks it is a screening process. That's certainly what it feels like to me: Another hurdle I now have to jump before being assessed by a trained and qualified psychologist. My fiancee has an AS son, and she said that my reaction is exactly how Callum would react.

Is this normal for an assessment path? Has anyone else gone through this, and if so, what suggestions could you offer, please? Do you have any other thoughts, as I would be grateful for any input?

Many thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

This is quite normal, don't worry!

Normally a GP cannot refer directly for an AS assessment. The referral usually has to come from a secondary service like a mental health team.

An assessment for Asperger's costs a lot of money. There are mental health issues which can mirror many traits of Asperger's, and it's important to rule them out (as the sole cause anyway) before they can justify the expense of a full assessment.

The important thing at this appointment is for you to present some evidence that your difficulties have been lifelong. Any evidence you have of early childhood difficulties would be useful. If you have developed secondary mental health issues like anxiety or depression, it's especially important to show that there is more than this going on.

You are right about it being a screening process, but it is the normal process and should not stand in your way even though it is quite annoying.

Hi Ian,

This is quite normal, don't worry!

Normally a GP cannot refer directly for an AS assessment. The referral usually has to come from a secondary service like a mental health team.

An assessment for Asperger's costs a lot of money. There are mental health issues which can mirror many traits of Asperger's, and it's important to rule them out (as the sole cause anyway) before they can justify the expense of a full assessment.

The important thing at this appointment is for you to present some evidence that your difficulties have been lifelong. Any evidence you have of early childhood difficulties would be useful. If you have developed secondary mental health issues like anxiety or depression, it's especially important to show that there is more than this going on.

You are right about it being a screening process, but it is the normal process and should not stand in your way even though it is quite annoying.

Thanks, Tally,

The worrying thing is that I have to give evidence of lifelong problems so "early". I haven't been able to see my mum (who lives some distance away, and who herself shows a lot of ASD signs now I know what to look for) and it didn't seem fair to drop this on her by phone. With the soon-ness of the appointment and the weather forecast now, I might have to. I'd also written to my childhood schools asking if they can help, but they haven't as yet replied. And because of all these problems over the decades I don't have a long-lived relationship or friendship by which to prove things either.

Fortunately, the advice here and with the NAS means that I have a list of (many) problems I have; many of those lifelong or which I cope with unless I get stressed, etc. I kept a copy (having given the original to my GP), so I can print another off to take with me. My fiancee also wrote a list in a sealed envelope. She will ask my GP for a copy of that when she sees her next week.

Take care,

Ian

Hi.I think it depends on which charity it is.The NAS have people in various posts working in partnership with the LA in my area.I do not know what qualifications they have however they are excellent.In contrast I have come across extremely well qualified professionals within CAMHS who have very little knowledge of ASD. :)

Karen.

Edited by Karen A