Sign in to follow this  
Sally44

Re-assessment of DLA

At the moment my son gets medium rate for care and low rate for mobility.

Due to recent incidents we've been referred to CAHMS. I am wondering if it is worth letting them know of recent changes.

What is the criteria for high rate care, and would a child who might try to hurt himself meet that. Would that affect mobility?

Hi Sally,

High rate care is essentially down to how much care you provide at night. As I understand it, middle rate is prolonged or frequent attention through the day or night and higher rate is day and night. If you google you can probably find more info - from memory you need to be up during the night for one period of at least 20 minutes or several times. They count night as after the household has shut down for the night and before the household gets up.

Cerebra does an excellent guide to DLA which might explain it in more detail. www.cerebra.org.uk - it's in the parent support section.

High rate mobility is usually paid if you are unable to walk or virtually unable to walk. However, if you are in receipt of Higher rate care you can also qualify under the other criteria which is severe mental impairment and severe behavioural problems.

NAS have some useful info on Higher Rate mobility and ASD diagnosis.

HTH

Carol