Sign in to follow this  
Mishmash

Hiya - Newbie

Hello all, so glad I've found this site as it just reiterates the fact I'm not losing the plot, and am right to keep pushing for my 8 year old son to be assessed. I've been fighting for some help since reception (now year 4) as although he's very bright and extremely sociable (loves meeting people, friendly etc) there has always been something off kilter. He basically, completely ticks all the AS boxes expect the social one - so because of that no one has taken me seriously at all - just a fussy, mother. Luckily, moved schools, and the first thing his teacher said to me at the end of the first day was "We haven't had his paperwork from old school - assume he's on the SEN Register and he is Aspie isn't he?" she nearly had a heart attack when I said no, and no!! So I'm right at the beginning of process. Wish me luck!

A question - don't know if anyone else has had experience of this and can help? At the moment one of my sons anxieties (and he has a few) is that he is terrified to breathe out of his mouth in case he breathes on something and it comes to life or somehow gets into him??! He knows that this can't happen - but he doesn't! His way of dealing with it is that although he knows it won't happen, he has to mutter stuff (like a protection spell almost) to make sure.

Any thoughts would be really helpful! Sorry for rambling, just so pleased to have found somewhere to talk!:)

Thanks

Biddy

Hi, my son is 10 and has recently been officially diagnosed with Aspergers, even though he has been like it for yrs. He also "ticks" but is too young at the moment to leRn how to manage them. He has numerous obsessions and is a massive chewer ;) I haven't come across Ur little ones issues that you describe, despite having worked with kids and adults on the Autistic spectrum. These kids and adults have so many different traits that affect them but I'm sure someone will have come across it.

Good luck

Annette x

Annette, Ha nobody seems to have come across it so far either! Oh yay - he's made up a new one! lol Bless him he is so excited about 2 weeks off school and not having to "conform" - so should be an interesting holiday!:)

Take care xx