Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Kinect - shopuld come with a health warning!

If anyone else's kids got a kinect for christmas a quick word of warning...

One of the games on kinect adventures is like a real life version of the old riding-on-a-mine-cart levels you get on things like crash bandicoot, where you have to duck under obstacles, jump over obstacles or leap from side to side to avoid obstacles. It's great fun, but involves using muscles you wouldn't generally use for everyday exercises unless you include squat thrusts or maybe a bit of horse riding among your general exercise regime! Didn't really notice it while playing, but 24hrs on I feel like I've been riding the range and ropin' steers all Christmas long, podna... nice in a way - brought back some memories, iykwim ;) - but these days I suspect I'll need a bit more recovery time than I used to. It's nowt like wii, either; you'll not get away with just waggling a controller about.

L&P

BD :D

I got Beth an Eye Toy for her PS2 for Christmas (we're always several years behind the technology, it makes it WAY cheaper). Anyhow, Eye Toy is like Kinect only much more basic. She's been jumping around her room swatting computerised creatures and heading TV footballs and after the first day was complaining it hurts to lift her arms! She's looking very hot and sweaty too which I feel can only be a good thing :P.

Worth the money Baddad? We debated one for Christmas but didn't in the end but my daughters birthday is soon so we might end up getting one then - would you recommend it??

Lynne

They're not made for the likes of you BD. In your dotage you should be playing a nice quiet game of scrabble. :D:P

My son and I had the privilege of previewing the Kinect at a gaming event at the Edinburgh Fringe in August. We tried a white water rafting activity - you had to move from side to side to steer the boat and if you jumped at the right moment the boat went up in the air and (hopefully) over the rocks. It does make you use your whole body - and look a complete prat in the process. I must say I was breathless after just a few minutes!

K x

Worth the money Baddad? We debated one for Christmas but didn't in the end but my daughters birthday is soon so we might end up getting one then - would you recommend it??

Lynne

At the mo I think there's a bit of a shortage of games - they're mostly quite similar to what you can do with eye toy or wii, albeit more responsive and 'real' iyswim... The big advantage over wii (or the new ps3 thingy come to that) is that it's not just a motion sensor detecting the controller, and over the eye toy that it's working in '3D' and the tracking is much better, but there doesn't appear to be a game out yet to do it justice. That said, the next gen of kinect games will undoubtedly look beyond wii type games, so give it six months or so and......

Doing the raft thing Kathryn mentioned I managed to hit the overhead light about half a dozen times - an error i only made once with the wii controller - so it's definitely more active and the more space the better. When they bring out a good 'sports' package (with tennis etc) and/or fitness thingy it'll knock spots off wii!

Kathryn - haven't got scrabble yet, but Hasbro family games night 3 has The Game Of Life (one of Ben's fave board games along with monopoly)+ a reasonably good version of 'Mouse Trap' and what look like interesting variations of yahtzee and Cluedo when we get time to look properly. The 'Twister' game is cr*p!

L&P

BD :D

Thanks - it sounds good. I bought a wii fit in hopes of using it for exercise but it's so easy to cheat on it but it doesn't sound like you can on the kinect ;)

Lynne