cait

sensory issues

My youngest boy is 4 and is still awaiting assesment....i believe he has aspergers or will def fall in on the spectrum somewere....he has lots of sensory issues,particulary to noise,lights,which he is over sensitive....but he doesnt seem to hurt himself easily ive seen him walk into objects which have bruised him and he has just carried on...but recently, suppose from about september time, beginning of primary 1....he has developed this need to enclose himself into tight spaces clearing cuboards and things, to climb into them and shut the door..he is the youngest of 4 and i know at times he is overwelmed by the stimuli around him in the house he also has to share a bedroom with his N.T. brother who is jst 16 months older than him..i have often found him asleep underneath his bed....instead of in it...outside, or in social situations he cant cope with he buries, his head and face into the base of my back and holds on to the pockets of my trousers,... or if he had a blanket would cover his head and face with it.....he has recently had a full meltdown over wanting to be in the boot of a friends car and not in the car itself....i dont know but knowing his need for small spaces school must be awful to him....and yes the teacher has said he has beeen acting out in school he can be quite violent and distructful during his meltdowns...i just feel so helpless as a mother i want to try and do everything i can to make it easier for him..its so frustrating he has been waiting about 14 months to be assessed and is expected just to cope with mainstream school ...no extra help no I.E.P....it is really worring me because his meltdowns have been much worse from starting school....

There is a book by a woman called Olga Bodgashina called "Sensory and Perceptual Differences in Autism and Aspergers." At the back of this book is a sensory profile checklist. Our Autism Outreach Department uses that checklist. It isn't fail safe, but it starts to make you think about behaviours.

The behaviours you are noticing may not just be a need to be in confined places (although that could be the need), but it could be down to too much light, smells, touch, or just getting totally overwhelmed.

You need to play around with some things to see how he responds to them. If he has the option of a hood/cap or blanket in the car does he cover his head, does he use sunglasses or headphones. If you ask him direct questions can he answer eg. "does the car smell good or bad." Does he smell, touch, tap things.

What is his balance and co-ordination like. What is his pain threshhold like. Can he injure himself and seem unaware and yet get upset at a slight touch. What is he like with socks and shoes and nail cutting, hair cutting/washing, having a bath/shower, wearing clothes.

The checklist in the book will give you some further ideas of things to try.

Have you asked for a referal to Occupational Therapist for an assessment towards sensory integration disorder? If not seek one. It is about a 2 year waiting list.

You can pay a private OT who is specifically qualified to carry out a SI assessment (and if you are seeing an OT you may as well ask for an assessment for handwriting problems (dysgraphia), poor muscle tone or dyspraxia.

Find out who the Autism Outreach Teacher is (phone your LEA) and contact them. Tell them you need them to come and see your son in school. Ask school if they are happy for her to come into school and if they are ask them to contact this person for an urgent assessment.

All these things are just the beginning and if your child is having serious sensory issues (along with a possible ASD), you need him to have the supports and professional input and breaks etc. But it will take your conserted effort over years to get it all in places.

From my experience (my son is now 10), I would say do not force him into school (eg. strapping into a buggy, etc). You can use reasonable reward/punishment if you feel that is appropriate. Only you know if it is intolerable for your child. You could ask school to allow you to come in on a couple of afternoons to see him. But if normal encouraging and pursuation is not working then it maybe better to not force him and tell school he is 'refusing' and you feel he is not coping. Make sure you go to the GP for a medical certificate etc and ask them to refer you to Clinical Psychology. The school should involve the Speech Therapist and the Educational Psychologist and you must cooperate with all of them.

I have forced my son to go to school every day and he is not well at the moment. He is now suffering from emotional anxiety and is not in school.

And like you say, it isn't fair on the child to keep encouraging them into an environment that they are not coping with.

Many of his issues may also be down to language and concept issues. If you don't understand and cannot process the information then a child is bound to get distressed.

Start making the phone calls, recording all incidents in writing, and sending in letters.

If your child on School Action or School Action Plus? If he has no IEP then he is probably on School Action. Speak with the SENCO about moving him onto School Action Plus. At that stage school are supposed to get outside help (SALT/EP) and to complete IEPs. You need at least two of them (and hopefully a diagnosis by then) before you apply for an assessment towards a Statement.

thank you for your reply ...i will def try to get a copy of the book...he has been referred to an O.T as well...he has been waiting for appointment with c.d.c for about 14 months ive been assured on phoning them frequently he will be seen during march...haircutting, teeth brushing, nail cutting are really difficult, bathing or shower is now ok although it wasnt for a long time but he is hysterical getting his hair washed...im aware of educational pys, A.S.D. outreach services,i.e.p/ ect ive been through it with my eldest daughter whom has a diagnosis of aspergers.A.D.D. and asscociated mood disorder..i believe she is also dispraxic but has never had a formal diagnosis as such she attend a clinical pyscoligist as does my 7 yr old girl she has a diagnosis of A.D.H.D....and they said after zacks initial assesment at the C.D.C they are willing to take on his case as well. again thank you for taking the time to reply I have found your advice very usefull.

hi! i dont really have any other advice to give but wanted to say that i totally understand the difficulties that your son and you are facing right now! S is diagnosed with Dyspraxia and Sensory Integration Disorder! He is now 11 but when he was 4 he behaved in similar ways to your little one! S would run to the wardrobe up in his bedroom and hide inside for about 10 mins if things got too noisy for him. S didnt like being in the car either and many times i had to sit in the back and hug him! He told me it was cos seeing the world whizz by so fast out the window made his head hurt! he said he also hated the smell of the car! S used to scream out when i tried to wash his hair but he is able to wash his own hair now and he is fine with that! He still needs all the labels cut off his clothes and i have to wash brand new clothes a few times with lots of softner before he will wear them! When S is in the house he hates wearing clothes! he used to walk around the house when he was younger just wearing boxer shorts but now agrees to wear shorts and his very old soft t shirt! (no socks) he still really struggles with wearin socks! he still gets very angry and upset when putting them on in the morning and we still have the battle of the sox! i can see it physically hurts him to have them put on! anyway O.T was great for S and although he found school difficult he got through it! He had a statement until he was 9! he had alot of support and the teachers provided him with a quiet area where he could go! He stayed in state school and was able to manage fine even tho there were large classes and disruption! He now goes to private school and obviously the classes are much smaller! S is doing well now! As S has got older he has been able to cope with his sensory issues! and im sure your little one will start to be able to cope better as he gets older!

My DD is 16 and just had a diagnosis of Aspergers her sensory issues have definitely improved but come back if she is anxious or upset. Just 18 months ago she decided the wardrobe was the place to be after getting upset about where we were going to eat on holiday! Don't know how we managed/ manage things apart from time comfort and reassurance