Sign in to follow this  
smartloobylou

DWP - reconsideration

Hi, I posted last week about my sons refusal for DLA. They called me back the same day but i missed the call so phoned the number given the next day. The lady i needed to speak to was not in till tuesday but the guy who answered the phone seemed very nice, said he'd see if he could find my sons file. So i started going over the reasons given for refusal were not right as my son met both the care and mobility criteria. He seemed very sympathetic and we discussed particular details. Then he asked what school my son went to. When i told him it was an independant school his attitude completely changed. He started challenging everything i said about my son's needs and asking if he did things such as dressing etc at school then he obviously didnt have a need for assistance. I felt like sayinig come and live in my ###### house then!!! He was completely unsympathetic. He obviously didnt think my son should have the allowance no matter what as he is independantly educated (at the moment) so i just concluded the conversation with "well according to the information i have, my son is eligible for DLA and i want the lady who dealt with my case to call me back next tuesday for a reconsideration." I felt really upset after the call like he was calling me a liar and my son didnt have ASD and additional needs from a child of a similar age. Any suggestions for how to deal with the call on Tuesday. Should i complain about this persons change of attitude when i mentioned his school or am i going to come up against prejudice with everyone for a benefit that is NOT means tested. :-(

Hi, I posted last week about my sons refusal for DLA. They called me back the same day but i missed the call so phoned the number given the next day. The lady i needed to speak to was not in till tuesday but the guy who answered the phone seemed very nice, said he'd see if he could find my sons file. So i started going over the reasons given for refusal were not right as my son met both the care and mobility criteria. He seemed very sympathetic and we discussed particular details. Then he asked what school my son went to. When i told him it was an independant school his attitude completely changed. He started challenging everything i said about my son's needs and asking if he did things such as dressing etc at school then he obviously didnt have a need for assistance. I felt like sayinig come and live in my ###### house then!!! He was completely unsympathetic. He obviously didnt think my son should have the allowance no matter what as he is independantly educated (at the moment) so i just concluded the conversation with "well according to the information i have, my son is eligible for DLA and i want the lady who dealt with my case to call me back next tuesday for a reconsideration." I felt really upset after the call like he was calling me a liar and my son didnt have ASD and additional needs from a child of a similar age. Any suggestions for how to deal with the call on Tuesday. Should i complain about this persons change of attitude when i mentioned his school or am i going to come up against prejudice with everyone for a benefit that is NOT means tested. :-(

Hi

I'm sorry you've had this trouble. Benefits are hard work to get for ordinary people.

I personally wonder if the turnover of staff in these departments is very high, and therefore the training could be rushed and the standard of staff could be quite variable. Some will care, some won't, some may have chips on their shoulders. Maybe pressure is on them to reduce the number of claimants, who knows.

Perhaps he read something in to the fact your son was at an 'independent' school not a special needs school.

I would approach the phone call with a clean slate. Stick to your facts and try to stay calm. DLA often gets turned down first time around, but awarded on appeal so go for it. Good luck.