Sign in to follow this  
skater_kat

dla & dx

I have a DLA award from July 2010 low rate care. It was awarded on the basis of my long term depression. When I applied for DLA in early June, I was not aware I may have ASD. So i fille out the application on the basis of how being constantly depressed affects me.

I went through a process of seeking a DX from early July, which was confirmed by psych in December 2010 (quick i know!).

I guess my question is, that now i have my ASD diagnosis in writing from NHS, should i submit this to DLA?

Having realised my ASD and coming to terms with it and finding out all about it, it makes 'how i am' make sense. Now i have perspective on this, I realise there are things I could have/ should have put down on the orginal DLA application. But i didn't as i didn't think it was anything to do with being depressed. For example the sensory overload issues when i am out and about, freaking out with people on the street when they bump into me etc - i just thought this was a bit weird and freakish but now i think about it, it could mean that I might have 'mobility needs' in relation to ASD stuff.

I suppose what i am scared of is - if i submit this new information to DLA, there could be a risk that they review my entire claim and decide i get ZERO and that would totally suck.

any advice?

You're right, there is a risk they may stop your DLA, but if your are submitting evidence of more substantial disability that is unlikely.

It would be worth trying to talk with someone from the CAB or DIAL to see if they think you are actually entitled to more DLA. Because if you don't meet the criteria then there is no point taking the risk even though it is very small.

When you fill in the form, it's about the additional care/help you need, rather than the specific diagnosis. It doesn't matter whether you need extra help because you are depressed or because you have ASD, what matters is that you need the help so the diagnosis shouldn't make much difference. Unless your care needs have changed from when you got your award till now I can't see how it would affect your claim either way.

Lynne