Sign in to follow this  
dekaspace

My halogen light bulbs in living room keep dying

Been here since June last year and its only been since January they started to die(though 1 of them wasnt working even when I moved in)

Within a month 4 bulbs died one by one every few days, so it got to the point where the light in living room was dul.

9 days ago replaced the 4 bulbs and tonight 1 of the new bulbs has died already, and thinking back its the same socket as the first one that died before.

I am not using cheap bulbs. they are 2 for £3 bulbs and I can get them cheaper.

I have read online that sometimes fingerprints on the glass can make them overheat and burn out(but its almost impossible to put them in with a cloth in hands, or gloves as you need to grip!)

Any ideas?

If the bulbs were all put in together, then it makes sense they would all blow about the same time. And now one of your new ones has gone. I think it's more likely it was one duff bulb than something more sinister.

Yes you do need to use gloves or a cloth. Have you tried rubber gloves?

If the bulbs were all put in together, then it makes sense they would all blow about the same time. And now one of your new ones has gone. I think it's more likely it was one duff bulb than something more sinister.

Yes you do need to use gloves or a cloth. Have you tried rubber gloves?

Havent got any to try, didnt know at first till I googled later.

Well what confuses me is that when I replaced the 4 bulbs one lasted 1 week, one lasted 2 weeks and the following two lasted 3 weeks, that doesnt seem right to have 4 duff bulbs together.

OK, I didn't realise it was more than one that had gone so quickly. That does seem strange.

Are you 100% sure you are using the right bulbs at the right voltage? If so then I think you need to have an electrician check out the fitting.

Havent got any to try, didnt know at first till I googled later.

Well what confuses me is that when I replaced the 4 bulbs one lasted 1 week, one lasted 2 weeks and the following two lasted 3 weeks, that doesnt seem right to have 4 duff bulbs together.

Both the old and new bulbs are 50W

The only other thing it could be us I didnt know how to put the metal clip over the bulb to hold it in place, so maybe this is why since the ones that go are the ones that are touching the metal instead of pointing directly downwards.