Sign in to follow this  
Ken10

ASSO Questionnaires?

Hi, my first post here, hope its in the correct place!

My 11 year old daughter has recently been referred by paediatrician to ASD Pathway for assessment - he seems sure enough that she has Aspergers, I'm convinced she has!

So anyway, I received a copy of the paediatrician's report to GP, along with these ASSO questionnaires (one for parents, one for schoolteacher) - are these part of the ASD Pathway assessment? Just wondering, as I've been unable to contact the paediatrician this past week, what is "ASSO" exactly?!

Also, I'm concerned the teacher's "picture" of my daughter will conflict with mine as far as these questionnaires are concerned - she has been doing fairly well in her mainstream secondary school, and when I recently told her form teacher of her suspected Aspergers, he was really surprised, as expected.

Plus, such is the number of pupils/assortment of teachers for different subjects, none of them could possibly know my daughter well enough after such a short time! Any answers and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, looking forward to getting to know people here, learning more, letting off some steam etc. and hopefully being of some usefulness for others'! :D

Ken

Would her old primary school be able to help? Could they also complete a copy of the questionnaire as they may have a more overall picture of her strengths and difficulties?

Would her old primary school be able to help? Could they also complete a copy of the questionnaire as they may have a more overall picture of her strengths and difficulties?

Hadn't thought of that, will pop in there next week. Thanks!

Never heard of ASSO - sorry Ken, and wikipedia thinks it's a place in Italy. :unsure::rolleyes:

The questionnaire is only one part of the overall picture I expect.

K x

Hi, my first post here, hope its in the correct place!

Hello, and welcome!

My 11 year old daughter has recently been referred by paediatrician to ASD Pathway for assessment - he seems sure enough that she has Aspergers, I'm convinced she has!

So anyway, I received a copy of the paediatrician's report to GP, along with these ASSO questionnaires (one for parents, one for schoolteacher) - are these part of the ASD Pathway assessment? Just wondering, as I've been unable to contact the paediatrician this past week, what is "ASSO" exactly?!

In the UK, as yet, 'the' ASD Pathway doesn't exist. (NICE are currently developing a national one. :unsure:) Some local PCTs have developed their own and the ASSO questionnaire is probably their own also. Contact them for further information.

Also, I'm concerned the teacher's "picture" of my daughter will conflict with mine as far as these questionnaires are concerned - she has been doing fairly well in her mainstream secondary school, and when I recently told her form teacher of her suspected Aspergers, he was really surprised, as expected.

A diagnosis will likely be based on her behaviour in different environments. If she's doing fairly well in school, what prompted the referral, just out of curiosity? It's often problems in school, or school-related problems at home that raise issues about social interaction - because school is the most challenging social environment that most children experience.

Plus, such is the number of pupils/assortment of teachers for different subjects, none of them could possibly know my daughter well enough after such a short time!

Most teachers have had plenty of opportunity to observe a child after two terms. It's part of their job and they'll be writing end of year reports soon. Doesn't mean they will all do it well, of course.

Any answers and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks, looking forward to getting to know people here, learning more, letting off some steam etc. and hopefully being of some usefulness for others'! :D

Ken

With regard to diagnosis, it's important to note that a diagnosis of an autism spectrum condition is not like a diagnosis of Down syndrome, or diabetes, where the cause is known. A diagnosis of an ASD is a subjective judgement as to whether someone's behaviours match the diagnostic criteria laid down in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) published by the American Psychiatric Asociation or in the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) published by the World Health Organisation.

Autism and Asperger's syndrome are labels for the signs and symptoms shown by individuals - signs and symptoms that could be caused by different things in different people. Ideally, a diagnosis should involve tests to rule out the 60 or so known medical conditions associated with ASDs, before a diagnosis of an ASD is given. In other words, a diagnosis of an ASD is a default diagnosis meaning 'the person has these symptoms but we don't know what's causing them'. If your daughter doesn't have significant problems with school, it's unlikely that she has one of the 60 medical conditions and so any diagnosis would be a default one.

The reason I've laboured this point is that many parents (like me, for example, when we first raised concerns about our son) are mystified by why there is such a high level of disagreement about their child's diagnosis and why it seems to difficult to decide whether or not they have an ASD.

Also, you need to think about what a diagnosis of AS would entail. Do not assume it will give access to additional support, although in your area it might. And since AS is likely to disappear as a diagnosis in the next edition of the DSM, that is going to have repercussions for your daughter too. Some people will be saying 'there, told you there was no such thing' and if her diagnosis is changed to ASD, some people will make all sorts of unfounded assumptions about her ability or willingness to communicate.

Sorry if this doesn't come across as very encouraging, but the autism pathway (in the general sense) is far from smooth and forewarned is forearmed.

cb

Edited by coolblue