Lucy34

Magazine

Hi there! I am currently working on a university project, creating a magazine for young people with AS. basically, i'm wonderring if anyone has any ideas for things i could include, or any tips re. the layout?

also, this is really cheeky, but i really wanted to include a short article (less than 200 words) written by a young person about anything they're passionate about (eg. a hobby, a collection etc.). if anyone would be up for writing something and messaging it to me, i would be very very grateful!

nb. any names would be changed with anything contributed and used in the magazine, and it WILL NOT BE PUBLISHED - it's just an assignment and will only be seen by my lecturer :)

any help at all that anyone could give, i would really appreciate!

many thanks,

Lucy

Hi Lucy -

Things defintely NOT to include. Adverts for snake-oil 'cures' and treatments or articles on same or the groups that peddle scaremongering, dehumanising, demonising propaganda under the guise of them. Photographs of any member of the Tommey family with their baps out (including the boys). Any t-shirts or merchandise that include slogans like 'I'm autistic, what's your excuse' (or variations thereof). Any articles about savantism. Bad poems - especially ones that refer to 'gifts from heaven' or God giving special children to special parents. Don't put anything sparkly on the front page or the lipstick aspies will never get past it. Don't put Thomas the Tank Engine on the front page or the three year old autistic boys will never get past it. Don't put any pictures of Amy Pond on the front cover or the Dad's will never get past it (even the ones who are past it!)...

I'll try to come up with some sensible ideas for inclusion (rather than exclusion) tomorrow, but hope that's helpful in the meantime. :thumbs:

L&P

BD

Hi Lucy,

There is a magazine called Asperger United that the NAS produces (or at least used to) that sounds similar to what you're thinking of. It might help you to get hold of a copy for some ideas.

I haven't had it for a couple of years now, but it used to include poems and art work by Asperger adults, penpal adverts, book reviews, and personal experiences.

Hi Lucy -

Things defintely NOT to include. Adverts for snake-oil 'cures' and treatments or articles on same or the groups that peddle scaremongering, dehumanising, demonising propaganda under the guise of them. Photographs of any member of the Tommey family with their baps out (including the boys). Any t-shirts or merchandise that include slogans like 'I'm autistic, what's your excuse' (or variations thereof). Any articles about savantism. Bad poems - especially ones that refer to 'gifts from heaven' or God giving special children to special parents. Don't put anything sparkly on the front page or the lipstick aspies will never get past it. Don't put Thomas the Tank Engine on the front page or the three year old autistic boys will never get past it. Don't put any pictures of Amy Pond on the front cover or the Dad's will never get past it (even the ones who are past it!)...

I'll try to come up with some sensible ideas for inclusion (rather than exclusion) tomorrow, but hope that's helpful in the meantime. :thumbs:

L&P

BD

aww thank you so much - this is really helpful. and the phrase 'baps out' actually made me lol! thank yooouu!!

Hi Lucy,

There is a magazine called Asperger United that the NAS produces (or at least used to) that sounds similar to what you're thinking of. It might help you to get hold of a copy for some ideas.

I haven't had it for a couple of years now, but it used to include poems and art work by Asperger adults, penpal adverts, book reviews, and personal experiences.

that's brilliant - have been looking for an example to work off, but couldn't find one, so that's really really helpful. thank you!