Sign in to follow this  
millymouse

Quick Introduction

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm a 46 year old woman and I've just been diagnosed with Aspergers.

I tried to get some sort of diagnosis for a couple of years and eventually got referred to a psychiatrist for depression because my GP thought that's all it was. I should point out that my GP didn't directly refer me to the psychiatrist, but I was assessed at the centre by an occupational therapist and fortunately her and the team she subsequently discussed my case with thought I was so bad that I should see a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist.

Fortunately that was a breakthrough moment and my psychiatrist is a lovely woman who is able to see the broader picture, even though she had no direct experience of Aspergers. We brought the depression under control with Lamotrigine (marvellous stuff, don't know what I'd do without it now), after which she arranged for me to see a clinical psychologist, who agreed with her. My psychiatrist was then able to get funding for me to be assessed properly by Sheffield Asperger Syndrome Service, where I was assessed and the diagnosis was confirmed.

I am currently trying to weigh up the pros and cons of telling people at work or not. Outwardly I manage to cope quite well, although I can be disruptive in meetings sometimes, but I think people just think I'm a bit 'different' and blunt.

I am a little concerned at what will happen if it does go on my HR record, but I am more concerned about what would happen if I applied for another job, either elsewhere within the company or externally.

Can anyone offer any advice please or share your experiences with me so I can make an informed decision?

Thanks for your help.

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

What a fantastic psychiatrist!!!

Telling your employer is a very difficult decision. Employers are legally obliged to provide reasonable adjustments if a disabled employee needs them in order to do their job. The only issue you are aware of is your difficulties in meetings. It's difficult to see what your employer could do to help you with this other than accept it as they already are doing. Excusing you from meetings altogether may well not be reasonable.

It is illegal for employers to discriminate against an applicant because of a disability, although it's virtually impossible to prove in most cases.

Personally I apply only for jobs I feel sure I could manage, and do not reveal my diagnosis. In your situation I don't think I would say anything, but maybe just try and work on the issue with meetings.

Hi

Thanks for your post. My name is Katherine. I am 30 and I'm considering trying to get a diagnosis for Aspergers and I'm a bit scared. I looked up the place in Sheffield and saw how much it was - partly I wanted to skip seeing my GP... I didn't know you could get funding so I feel like it might be worth going to the GP after all.

I can see why you are worried about telling people. I feel like that too and I still find that mostly it's a relief and with those people who don't response well it's usually pretty hard anyway.

I wish you well with your journey with this and thanks for sharing. I would appreciate any advice you have to offer about the diagnosis process.

Thank you Tally and Katherine for your responses.

Katherine - as I understand it you have to be referred to Sheffield by a consultant psychiatrist or a clinical psychologist. The most difficult bit for me was getting the GP to refer me because she didn't understand AS. Luckily my psychiatrist was able to get funding for me because she said it is something they ask for so infrequently, but this will probably vary depending on which psychiatrist/psychologist you see I would imagine.

Just out of interest what were the costs you came across? The person I saw is trying to get funding for a follow up visit in a few months, so will have to wait and see what happens with that.

It was definitely worth pursuing for me. It has certainly been a relief to me to have a formal diagnosis so that I now know why I am the way I am and that I'm not just weird. The hard bit is deciding who to tell.

Good luck, I hope you get the diagnosis you want.