Sign in to follow this  
bobbybaggio

Advice for first appointment

I've approached my GP to request full diagnosis to identify and arrange appropriate support needs for myself. However he's just not listened so I've allowed him to refer me to the general psychiatric unit in the hope I can convince them to refer me to the correct people.

How could I approach the psychiatric worker about this? What would be best wording to maximise their understanding? I'm not very good at choosing the right words when making a point so often people will not give it the right amount of attention.

An important aspect of ASD diagnosis in adults is a full mental (and physical as necessary) assessment in order to ensure that there isn't something else going on that could explain your symptoms or equally that something else isn't going on alongside that could be treated. Therefore, although it seems horrible, a mental health assessment is really beneficial (even if it only says 'yep, nothing else going on here') as it reassures you and others that everything has been considered. I wouldn't go in seeing it as your job to convince them of anything but instead let them work though their assessment to ensure an accurate outcome.