Sign in to follow this  
kirky

sleep walking son. Help!!

ok, so my son has always been a sleepwalker. It's his main stress indicator for me. It usually happens when he's worried about school, tests, bullies etc. He gets up and turns all of the lights on in the house then goes back to bed.

The problem is that he's having a bad time at school right now with a new form teacher and some bullying. Before when he sleptwalked it was once in the middle of the night, at the minute its a minimum of twice and its starting as soon as he's deeply asleep. It's as though as soon as his body relaxs his brain starts worrying.

Last week he walked once a night every school night, on sunday night it was 5 times and 3 times every night since. He doesn't remember it in the morning which is good, but my husband and myself are getting really frayed around the edges!! We end up lying awake waiting for him to get up! It's hard to deal with H when i'm working on less than 4 hours sleep.

I am trying to deal with the situation at school (if he wasn't in the middle of being assessed for a statement i'd yank him out of there). But how do i manage the sleepwalking? I've got an appointment with the doctor on friday but i'm unsure what to say, do i ask for meds to help him sleep through? or does he need to see a professional? Since he was diagnosed 3 years ago he hasn't seen professional outside of school. I'm really worried about his mental health right now. Should i pull him out of this school? We should get the provisional statement before xmas then i can choose a different school, but i don't want to isolate him from any social interaction with his peers. He even said today when asked that he thinks he would be better off going to a different school.

I'm at the point where if anyone else says 'you look tired are you ok?' i'm gonna scream or cry!!

Edited by kirky

hi , my son was a sleepwalker also ....he was very animated and would shout and roll around, melatonin helped greatly .We were prescribed it by our GP.We had a difficult 4 yrs or so but he seems fine now .Good luck xx.