Sign in to follow this  
bobbybaggio

Break in routine

I've kind of just realised that I get stressed and down when I've time off work. By time off I mean holidays rather than weekends. I'm assuming it's because my routine has been broken. The irony is my work is often stressful but I cope quite well but give me a week off and I'm a mess!!!

I have only taken friday and monday off this weekend and I'm sitting feeling lost and unmotivated! I was wondering if anyone else gets the same or has similar problems?

Thanks

I can tell you that my son gets much more anxious and his behaviour deteriorates in the school holidays if we don't have a visual schedule he can follow. School time and weekends he is fine - but he doesn't like the lack of routine school holidays brings.

Lynne

Hi

I think there are quite a few people who feel like this. Can you make a plan for next time you're off - trips to museums or places you want to visit etc, or plan to sort out stuff at home (sock drawer?!), or book all your optician, dentist appointments for then.

When you don't have to get up for something, it can be hard to get going. I can be hopeless on my day off, end up on the computer and not getting anything done round the house, and putting off going shopping till it's too late!

Work does provide a structure to people's lives. You maybe need to create a structure of sorts for your time off.

I feel like this especially during the time of public holidays - like the one starting tomorrow. It's the break in routine; the fact that there's no public transport and facilities like doctors' surgeries and vetrinary services are closed. It heightons my always present anxiety and I breathe a sigh of relief when everything gets back to normal.