Sign in to follow this  
Gutcruncher

Supported employment thread

I am going to reply to the snipers here, I have to demonstrate the truth.

Tanya52:

I’ve met a lady who believes that AS is her wonderful/unique asset (she is a free-lancer). Have you ever considered becoming self-employed?

Tried that and had a breakdown. Never got paid either. Too risky to try again.

Justine1:

You seem very rude and arogant this may be the reason why you are not working nothing else!

There are at least four members (sorry if I forgot anyone)who have AS and are working,some are also parents on top of that.It is not easy but they get on with it. If you were able to get a degree why ca't you use the same determination to get a job

1. What does that have to do with anything? Employers don't meet me, I never even get to the interview stage.

2. I AM DETERMINED! I AM DETERMINED IN EVERYTHING. I apply and apply and apply and never get anywhere. It is the EMPLOYER who choses the employee, not the employee who choses the employer. what is making me ILL is because i can't getting anywhere despite genuine effort.I have no one to give me a hand up through nepotism.

Saying some story "oh I have a relative who works blah blah blah" doesn't help me does it, everyone's lives and situations aren't identical. I have no one to give me a boost up.

Dekra:

You say can't/won't look for work on the open market.

I DIDN'T SAY THAT!! I do look, but it gets me nowhere because I cannot compete with normal people who don't have a negative label like AS, I have no work experience for example. I am saying that it is perhaps fruitless to attempt the open market because i have for six years and I get nowhere despite WANTING TO WORK. I need support, which i won't get on the open market.

Dekra:

As for the gardening - it's not just for profoundly disabled people, stop being a snob - if you don't like gardening fair enough I wouldn't want to be a gardener either but that's just my personal lack of interest. But don't rule the job out because you feel you are "too good" for it.

THAT IS NOT WHAT I'VE WROTE. i didn't say I was "too good" for it i never did, I am saying that I don't want to be lumped together with mentally handicapped people like I have been in the past, what drives me is that I KNOW that i am NOT like that. I WANT to do something positive.