Sign in to follow this  
Tally

Mothers Day

There are some great mums here on the forum, and you all deserve to be treated like queens tomorrow, but I have to say that mine is even better than any of you! I got very lucky to get a mum like mine and I don't deserve her at all.

She has dreams all the time that make her sad, but she still gets up in the morning and goes to work. She phones me and makes sure I am OK, and talks to me when I am not, until I am. She cycled 400km across the mountains of Sri Lanka with a bunch of 20-year-olds and kept up with them. In a couple of weeks' time she will be cycling the Coast-to-Coast with David's girlfriend and her uni friends. She won't have any trouble keeping up with them either. In April she will be cheering on some of David's friends in the Paris marathon (OK, so she's not actually running herself, but that's not the point). She's got us all looking forward to celebrating my cousin's wedding next Friday, and has been very supportive of my cousin's wedding plans while my cousin's own mother has turned into a bit of a jibbering wreck. She is always thinking of other people. She does more for me than I can ever do for her in return, and never makes me feel bad about it.

She never complains that she doesn't deserve this. She just accepts that things are how they are, and carries on, and shows us all how to make the best of what's left. Because of her, I know that I'm going to be OK in the end.

Last year for mothers day, David and I took her to Richmond Park and we had a walk and a picnic, and David climbed a tree, as usual. It was pouring with rain, but we pulled up some logs under a tree and ate our picnic in our raincoats. Afterwards we drove around the perimeter of the park and saw some deer, and David told me about his medical dictionary having some funny jokes in, and he told me one of them, only it turned out he'd misunderstood it and it wasn't a joke at all, and that was an even better joke! I wish I could remember what it was about now.

I have no clue what to do for the best this year. I've got her some flowers and I've made a card, but I don't know what to write in it that won't make her burst into tears. Whatever I write, it won't take away from the fact that she deserves to get cards from both her children this year.

Your mum sounds very special. I hope she had a lovely Mother's Day and wasn't too sad. It's good she has a caring daughter to let her know she's loved.

L x

I gave her the flowers and she liked them. We went to see my aunt and uncle for the day, and when we got back several of David's friends had left flowers too. Separately, it seems, as they were all in different places, some by the back door and some by the front door. That was really nice of them, and we all had a little cry over it.

She does indeed sound amazing in so many ways.

Not sure I can even begin to match that as a parent. My daughter once said I was "awesome"- a compliment that meant more than any gift could have done.

K x

Edited by Kathryn

That's very high praise indeed, Kathryn. I have heard a rumour that daughters tend not to volunteer this kind of information, so I reckon that if your daughter did, it's got to be true.