Sign in to follow this  
Colin_and_Shelagh

Closure of special schools

Why close a school that is so evidently succeeding?

Money.

The LEA say the school was not economically viable, what they mean is we are no longer prepared to pay for it.

Sadly there seem to be very few incentives for LEA's to keep Special Schools open, there now is a real crisis in provision for children with Autism in the 11-18 age range almost everywhere.

Simon

You are very right Simon

Money......

I know not far from me but more closer to Anneuk there is supposed to be a Autistic unit being set up. It was in my local paper but can only take about 10-12 kids.. :unsure: 11-18 I think, but there may be more that need the unit than that so may lose out, well the severe cases anyway.

What will happen to those children that need more support but cant get it..... :wallbash: if the government didn't waste their money on lots of things that we dont really need or want it would be more funding elsewhere to put into.

Take care

Amanda >:D<<'> >:D<<'>

Money.

Of course, but there is a vocal pro-inclusion lobby that can make the closure of such schools seem justifiable to the lay person.

'Inclusion' is an emotive rallying cry. Explaining that children have a right to an education in a setting that can meet their needs is, unfortunately, more dificult.

:huh: Surely as Asperger's has only relatively recently become fairly widespread knowledge among the general public, these special schools that are (or might be) closing, particularly any that are only for those with Asperger's, will have only opened fairly recently. :blink: It seems barmy to close them already, for whatever reason. :wacko:

James

EWranock herself admist inclusion may not be the waty forward. On another site they have talked of a walk and picnicto represent sen kids. Whynot make it largr and really go for it. We all have v strong views. Could we organiose and get permission to walk later in te year and raise awareness not just for aspergers/ austism but all sen kids who need approprate sen care. My son has adhd, dyspraxia and aspergers. There will be many with other diagnosese but similar aims. Can we not unite and fight for the same end?