Sign in to follow this  
madstitcher101

Dentists

This may soon shocking but we haven't taken our son to the dentists yet. He is nearly 5 years old. I guess we had delayed it because of what he is like and we thought that as he got older he would probably be more acceptable to go. The thing is we know that if the dentists drills sound off while we are in the waiting room he is going to get really upset and won't allow his teeth to be looked at. Or he may not open his mouth anyway.

Any advice on how to go about this? My husband isn't too bothered about not going yet because he said he's going to be losing all his milk teeth anyway. Me, I would like him to go and get used to having to go for checkups regularly, but worried about how he will react/behave when he's there. It's a nightmare when he goes to the doctors and everyone, including myself, gets very stressed out.

Our son does go to the dentist, but if he needs any work he is referred to the Community Dentist, because you would not get a drill, or a needle near him.

This was organised by speaking with the Dentist practice first, and discussing it with the Dentist too. She agreed, due to his diagnoses, that it was not a good idea for her to try to work on his teeth. She does check them and polish them, but nothing more.

It is a bit frustrating that it takes so long to get referred. He needs a filling and was referred to the community dentist about 3 months ago. But he will have to be sedated, and will probably having the filling done under general anesthetic.

We found that using ear defenders [type you can buy from somewhere like B&Q], cut out alot of the noise.

And we also asked the dentist to show our son how the drill worked, so that he saw what it was and what noise it made.

I didn't go near a dentist until I was 10, and stopped going when I was 14! I can't recommend this as an ideal, however.

When I needed treatment a few years ago my GP referred me to what turned out to be an incredible find: a dentist who was scared of dentists! He was brilliant, he explained things well, and enabled me to feel in control of the situation so that things could unfold at my speed. I think male dentists have far more empathy than female ones ('you think this hurts, just try having a baby!'). Just don't let him watch 'Little Shop of Horrors', ever!

You could try getting the first appointment of the day for yourself (or husband) and take you son with you.

Hopefully this would mean no waiting, and no drills from earlier appointments.

If this is successful, maybe ask him just to sit in dentist chair at this appointment, and then work forward in tiny steps from there.