Sign in to follow this  
WeirdCat

nat.mur

My son gets migraines when stressed and someone suggested nat.mur as a painkiller, I bought some but it seems from the instructions that you should take a set amount regularly. The instructions are very small so I have had difficulty reading them. Anyone direct me to instructions in big writing! :D

is this the homeopathic nat mur?

homeopathic cures can be used for specific symptoms but the remedy depends on the precise nature of the symptoms and whether they are acute (immediate and short term like a cold or a sprain) or chronic (long term like migraines)

there are many cures for migraines and headaches. it depends on the symptoms - some headaches are sharp, some dull, some migraines cause sickness, some vision problems etc - the nat mur may be right for your son's migraines but it may not.

if it is you should know within a few days of trying it but if the problem is chronic it may actually make the symptoms worse initially and then things will improve.

The instructions on the label are probably pretty useless - if it is nelsons it will probably say take 2 tablets but you should only take one

for an acute attack (ie an individual migraine)you should probably give one every 2 hours for no more than 2 days

if you want to treat a chronic problem (ie the long term problem of repeated migraines) you usually take a higher potency one a day or even once a week for a longer period but if you want to try this I would suggest seeing a qualified homeopath who will be able to give a remedy specifically suited to your son and prescribe it more precisely - probably a series of different remedies over a period of time to treat the whole body/person. - this is not a cheap option

the nice thing about homeopathy is that it is safe to try out remedies yourself with a good book to help you decide which is best - the library should have several. There are no side effects unless you continue to use it once the problem is gone and then it will bring the symptoms back.

it may work or it may not - it does for my children but it isn't scientifically proven. My kids have specific remedies they respond best to - Com was a belladonna baby, did wonders for his teething and fevers but Dot seems to like sulphur best, it clears up her eczema in 2 days! We always have arnica tablets in the house for bumps and bruises - they are much better than the cream and popping one into a wailing maw is a very effective way to close it.

the tablets are usually made of milk sugars so if you are on a milk free diet you need to find another brand - sorry can't remember off-hand which ones, for that you do need to read the label; it will probably say lactose if there is milk.

they are best tipped into the lid and then tipped directly into the mouth - in our house they are called 'head back medicine'! You shouldn't touch them if you can help it.

they are very sweet and easily dissolved on the tongue.

If your son won't take them (I've never actually found a child that doesn't like them though) you can apparently dissolve them in a bath so they can be absorbed through the skin - I don't know how effective this is but if you're stuck it might be worth a try.

the effectiveness of homeopathy is lowered by strong scents, tastes, etc, particularly mint and coffee, so if you use a mint toothpaste it is worth swapping for a while.

hope that's helpful

Zemanski