Sign in to follow this  
livmum

Maths natural or innate ability

Forgive me for posting in tow forums but wanted to ensure that those who wouldn't look in education might also have a view. Long time since I posted. Hypothetical question.: State Academy secondary run "maths scholarship" which pupils sit before entering school. If get scholarship which based on complex word problems then get 2 hours maths per week sessions after school and 1:1 sessions plus fast track to GCSE. Asperger child doesn't pass test as inferencing problems/difficulty with complex word problems doesn't get scholarship but still "attaining higher than others in scholarship set. Not allowed to access those after school lessons as not scholarship. Child is level 7.2-7.4 at year 7. No child in scholarship is apparently above level 8. Some are much lower. Scholarship set also appears to be an express set or top set . Asked why child and indeed others also performing at that level ( ie above 7) can't access scholarship extra lessons- doesn't have "innate maths ability" as didn't pass scholarship test. They refer to example of music scholarships where parents complain as child is high grade in music but doesn't get scholarship as not innate ability just lots of tutoring. Child has not been tutored in maths and is 7.4 despite lack of extra input. Yes parent can argue that may be disability discrimination if no reasonable adjustments with the test. But take out the Aspergers- there are a handful of children without a dx but have those type of levels. Isn't this a type of 11 Plus selection that will affect a whole school career by the back door? Is there such a thing as "innate ability in maths?" I know what I think as I spent some time researching this "idea" of natural ability in maths. The school run maths music and sports scholarships. The maths doesn't have any impact on admission criteria. In a state school I find this fundamentally wrong. Feedback grateful particularly from teachers and maths teachers.