Eustace

Use Your Common Sense.

A Hearty Greetings,

My name is not Eustace, but I'm fond of anonymity and adore the name. I understand protocol is to greet and introduce oneself before conducting any topics or subjects, yet disposing of formalities, I have something I wish to discuss beforehand, something I have ruminated on for many years now, and only recently has it become apparent as to why. I do indeed intend to enter a post under the "Meet And Greet" subheading, but you will have to bear with me for the time being - in that post, I too shall explain my situation for those who wish to delve into that aspect of myself. Okay, allow us to begin.

Indeed, 'Use your common sense' is an exhortation I have encountered far too many times to count, in many workplace situations, in various schools and related environments of study, at home on occasion, and in the past when with friends. Each time I encounter this "common sense" phenomenon, I fail to precisely detail what it is, of what its core concept consists of, and on which foundations it stands. Allowing ourselves to dissect the components of the wording - that is, separating "common" and "sense" - we create for ourselves two definitions: firstly, 'Common', meaning "1, Occurring or done often, 2, Ordinary, 3, Shared", and secondly, 'Sense', meaning "1, Any of the powers used to perceive, 2, A feeling that something is the case, 3, Awareness, 4, A sensible and practical attitude, 5, a meaning". Now, considering these definitions, the logical course of action here would be to connect the highest-relating separate definitions together so as to reach a rational explication of the statement. Therefore, in consideration of semantics and the means by which the "common sense" statement is generally used, the rational definitions to fuse are as follows: 'Common', meaning "2, Ordinary", and 'Sense', meaning "1, Any of the powers used to perceive" - resulting in the fusion, 'Common Sense', meaning "The ordinary way to perceive".

_____So then, relating the concise definition to my own experiences with the phenomenon, why then have I been accused of lacking, or on occasion, having absolutely no common sense; 'use your common sense boy!' a declaration directed towards me many times, and like I say, each time resulting in a nebulousness of understanding. 'Twould seem then, that I seemingly don't perceive things via ordinary means, and although I still ponder my previous encounters with the phenomenon, only now is it clear - I don't perceive things the way others do. Recent events in my life - through personal choice and an inability to continue living the way I was - have resulted with my diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome ... well, my final appointment is on the 9th of December; the ultimatum as it were, but all professionals I have seen recently say I do indeed have this condition. Having done a profound amount of research, of which is par for the course, it seems as clear as a summer atmosphere now why the common sense phenomenon has affected me so.

_____However, the Aspergers diagnosis can only be considered a slight cause for my altered perception in relation to the phenomenon, that is, despite my hypersensitivity to smells, sound, and touch, common sense; directly opposing my own logical definition, is used in the general consensus - considering the majority of my own experiences - is used in the respect of practicality. The times I have been most confused with the accusations arise when I've been asked to physically do something, and have seemingly done it in ulterior fashion to what I now see as the 'norm'. For instance, I used to work in a warehouse and was asked once to organize the Christmas stock. Before beginning, I asked just where the stock should be placed, to which I was told something along the lines of, 'wherever it will go.' After having organized that which I could, the individual whom reviewed my placement was astonished as to how I had organized things, which of course to me made complete logical sense, and I was interrogated as to why I did things so, leading to the question 'where is your common sense?' Now I wasn't sure at the time, but upon rumination I think the question is only used in a negative or offensive way; perhaps the age-old power conundrum of human nature? I'm not sure if this example will suffice, if not, I'm sure I could enter my head-house and find another situation wherein I was posed the question.

_____Yes, this common sense thing definitely alludes me, thus why I felt it a good idea to join this website. In the hopes of sharing experiences with other fine gentlemen and gentlewomen, I now pose my audience the question: Prey tell me, what are your experiences with common sense?

I thank you for your time.

Eustace.

I love words and phrases, though I've never really expounded on them, but I'll try to here because I've fell victim to that phrase a few times in my life.

Common sense as I understand it, is a way for "normal" people who want to appear intelligent, or, who just can't be bothered explaining ... and want to make it seem as though an ape could understand it.

It's an easy way out, a way to possibly allow you to make a wrong choice in the workplace, thus bolstering their own competence at your expense. It's a "get out" clause; they could tell you, but just don't want too.

Common sense amongst the Neurotypicals is just that — common sense! It's when something is so easy it needs no explanation. Regardless of how ambiguous a phrase or task may be, their common sense will help them. When there is no ambiguity at all, their common sense will help them, or it may not be needed at all, as they're such all knowing Beings.

Yet ... even with their abundant supply of common sense, they still seem to fail at the most fundamental aspects of learning. If it isn't in a book or there isn't a University course teaching it, it can't be done! Poor, unfortunate Neurotypicals. I pity those who rely on the metaphorical common sense which expands to common knowledge and stops at basic stupidity :P

I have no common sense at all ... I have my own sense and it has taken me far further down the road of learning than their common sense could ever comprehend.

I pay no respect at all to those who shun the decency of explaining what they so clearly understand, or don't understand as the case may be, but wish to appear clued-up.

Common sense? No thanks, I'd rather use my own!

Hello UnusualPatronas,

Interesting take on the phenomenon, I'd never even considered it from the viewpoint of "neurotypicals". So too is it interesting to imagine it's used to express some kind of intelligence. Would that not contradict itself entirely, that is, "common sense" being known by all requires a shared level of intelligence, thus there is no means by which to determine a higher level over another? Interesting idea indeed. Personally, I cannot believe this could possibly be the case, purely because I cannot imagine one would class themselves as more intelligent for having a greater common sense as it were ... that seems absurd.

However, what I can completely understand is how some (I changed the last word from "most") people wish to bypass their means of justification, or perhaps their modes of thought. My mother is a good example of this; past 6pm in the evening, after the wine is out, a lot of questions I ask her result in the answer "It just is" or something similar. Upon further questioning; attempts to drag the methodology out, at the means of her attaining certain answers - seemingly following no logical route, and based upon foundations of nothingness. The perfect statement to me consists of a landscape, foundations planted within the landscape, and varying levels of structure, which lead towards a definable - and infallible (for the time being) - source of information, which allow me to consciously justify, understand and penultimately accept said source. Without this construction of logic and rationality, I become very uneasy and sometimes angry towards the construction under scrutiny.

For the sake of argument, allow us a symbolic interpretation. For a building to stand the test of time with strength and prowess, the land upon which it stands must too be reliable; no marshland nor floodplain will suffice, no, a reliable plot must consist of layers upon layers of condensed earth that can stand immense pressure. So then, placing foundations into this earth, one must allow themselves an adequate level of thought in order to ascertain just how structurally secure they need to be, for one can place a building upon the strongest of earth, yet if the foundations are weak, the building could not defend against the weakest of breezes. It becomes apparent at this time to the aware individual how both the land and the foundations are as equally important as one another, yet, it is the next component of the structure that defines and authorises the reason and means for construction. The building is created for a reason; a means for being, and the reason is this - to exist as an edifice; a physical interpretation of ambition. I am adding to many elements to the symbology now, but what I intend to state is that the building upon which the eye can observe contains matter one can take in as a means of information; data one can de-construct for their own purpose.

When a statement is made wherein their exists a peak; an achievement comparable to a flag gently flapping in a breeze atop an edifice, yet their stands no foundation nor building, I see the achievement as non-existent and completely impossible, for matter with weight cannot exist in an atmosphere influenced by gravity. A statement without foundation and structure to me, agitates me tremendously, for that then is just as trivial as starting a conversation with an observation upon the weather.

Hello Eustace,

Sorry I didn't use your name, highly ignorant of me to just delve into my post. Though unintentional.

No, common sense does not imply a higher intelligence and my suggestion of it as such was a humorous attempt at sarcasm. Perhaps I shouldn't have done so ... I realise that you are looking for more of a academic understanding of the term judging by your reply.

That was merely my take on what their thinking could be. The reason they can only reply with "use your common sense" is a defence. Hiding their own lack of knowledge.

I'm sorry to be the first to post and tell you that I can't answer as critically as I presume you're expecting, though I can give an anecdotal account of my own experience.

I've been guilty of an injustice in the past. Being annoyed at my brother, I deliberately asked him a simple question that I already had an answer for! He got the question wrong. I told him he was wrong and asked him to explain ... he did.

I can only assume that he suspected I doubted him, because he then said in his haste as I started to correct him, "use your common sense!" Possibly not wanting to hear that he might be wrong, not wanting to hear another answer, not wanting to be seen as wrong.

This is roughly what I meant by "appearing intelligent"

Any negative response, which is what I also consider use your "common sense" to be, is used, often ... defensively. To hide their inadequacy or lack of knowledge.

Obviously that is still open to interpretation, though I feel that this is as far as my own understanding can stretch at this moment.

Hello,

This is but a short simply to reply and acknowledge your reply. I'm off to Norfolk for three days to watch birds, which is ironic I think, considering the "Norfolk Broads" thing below my name, yet, I just wish to say I am going to reply, but shall have to do so upon my return.

Thank you for the reply, and hope you are okay.

Eustace