Sign in to follow this  
call me jaded

Exclusion diet didn't work?

The presence and severity of the swollen lymph glands was not influenced by exclusion diets that some children were on, suggesting that food allergy or intolerance was not the cause. The fact that these children also have abnormal immune systems and the resemblance of the disease to the intestinal findings in some patients with HIV infection suggests the disease may be associated with a smoldering viral infection. 

More here:

http://thoughtfulhouse.org/editorials.php

Hi jaded -

Interesting article, and good to see Andy Wakefield battling on regardless. One day, I hope, there'll be some humble pie on the menu at the GMC...

Surprised to see that exclusion diets are not shown in a more positive light, considering the wealth of parents (including myself, and you I believe) who do see benefits for their children. Perhaps its a far more simple 'mechanism' at play - i.e. a reduction in symptoms and associated discomfort rather than any direct impact on the underlying bowel disorder. The 'smoldering virus' isn't that far away from previous research, and certainly seems to fit with Ben's experiences (as posted elsewhere on the forum, for anyone interested) and 'regression'.

Thanks for the link

BD :D