Sign in to follow this  
gruff

Visit from Family Fund

Hello

I would like to say a big thank you for all the advice on this website - it helped with my application for dla and good news we have got it!! :thumbs:

It seems to be all happening together though as i have just heard from the family fund to say they are going to do a home visit on monday and she asked me to think about some of the things that i would like to apply for - i know they give holiday grants but what else?

Kinda feeling a bit guilty as well - im quite happy getting the dla and im feeling just a tad uncomfortable asking for more!

So any ideas anyone? :blink:

Hi Gruff, we felt like that as well, but the lady that came to see us was very nice and made us feel quite comfortable. We received our cheque about 3 1/2 weeks later. We have been awarded a holiday grant, clothing and bedding allowance, and money for an exercise machine for his repetative movements. We are also in the process of having a bedroom built for our son under the disabled facility grant and the family fund have given us money towards flooring and decoration. We have also been advised we can reapply in a years time.

A friend applied just after us and on her visit thay have put down for a shed for her son as he spends so long in the garden and a printer for his computer.

We were guided by the lady that visited, she asked loads of questions and pointed out areas for which we could claim. The only thing I would say is that our son was not present at the interview as he doesn't like strangers in the house and I was glad he wasn't there as there were quite a lot of personal questions.

Good Luck

Denise 2 :)

Thanks Denise

So from your point of view would it be best if I introduced him and then let him go on his computer upstairs? How personal are the questions they ask?

Thanks

We were asked all about his medication and difficulties and we were asked about the effect his disabilities had on the family and the finances. As our son is 11 and has continence problems I didn't want him to overhear what was being said. Also I didn't want him to think that he is the cause of family life being difficult as we have taken a long time to build up his self esteem since taking him out of school, and it doesn't take much to knock him down again.

I didn't think any of the questions were not needed as I realise they have to justify the grants. It was also well worth doing as the grant has made a huge difference to us, especially being able to take the children away for a couple of days.

We also needed to provide proof of income and diagnosis and show the medication our son is taking.

Best Wishes

Sorry, I didn't realise I hadn't answered your question, yes in my opinion I would just do the introductions and then let him go upstairs. We didn't even get to the introductions as our son refused to leave his room but he was very vocal so she knew he was there. :lol:

Denise 2

Thanks Denise :D

Yes my son also has continence problems which i wouldnt like to discuss in front of him - thanks for the info am very grateful :bounce:

hi great news the family fund are brilliant the lady that came to see us a couple of years back was very nice my son was present as he was only two at the time but he was constantly hitting and biting me there were lots of questions asked but all relevant they were very helpfull and have been every year, for instance we applied to disabled rescources to have a bedroom built we had support from the hospital for this and everyone who worked with my son, as he was sharing with his elder sister and was only sleeping 2-4 hours and then waking in violent rages always amaied at my sleeping daughter however after chasing disabled resourses for 2 years they told us that they would not even apply for a grant for us as our son did not fit the criteria and autism wasnt a severe disability :angry::wallbash: hence to say we were annoyed but needed to get him into a room of his own so reseached and realised we could build one our selves we telephoned the family fund and told them what had happened and they sent us a cheque for the cost of bulding materials and now my children have rooms of there own ,my daughter can sleep with out fear of being attacked, ive become a builder over night and all is well THANKS TO THE FAMILY FUND :thumbs::thumbs:

wow, mom on a mission, I am impressed. We are currently having our room built and I wouldn't know where to start. I think it depends on where you live if they accept you for a disabled facilities grant. We were initially told we were discretionary and they did not have money for that. Then our local CAFTs got involved and told them it was urgent that he was seperated from his sister, the man from the council came out to see us and then moved us straight up to a mandatory grant. Guess we were lucky.

A friend who's son is autistic received a trampoline, (because her son jumped from one item of furniture to another to navigate the house) a washing machine, and bedding and curtains for his room.

She didn't find the questions too intrusive. The trampoline was the representative's idea (it's huge) and includes safety net.

I think they're happy to provide most things - well anything that can help towards making life a little 'easier'.

cherry