Sign in to follow this  
Liz01

Help with Schools

I have never posted on here before, but I have read many of the forums. I just really wanted some advice or information.

My son is 8 - nearly 9 and is about to go into year 4. He has Asperegers/high functioning Autism plus he has low muscle tone and is not very physical in any way. He is in a mainstream school and does ok academically, but he does not mix very well and as he is not sporty that does not seem to help either. He is quite big for his age and so looks older and does also suffer for this because people expect more from him than any normal boy his age, but he can not perform at his own age, let alone older! He is statemented and has an LSA for almost the whole day every day. He says he does have friends but he then names the whole class....but he doesnt have any specific friends. He has been with the same children since reception year but they are now at an age where they realise he is not 'normal', and whereas the school has always told me that the children in his class just accept him, I have noticed that they are now starting to laugh at him and ridicule him. In general, children do laugh and ridicule him - he is quite loud and screams and shouts at people if things dont go his way - so he is a natural target really....but as you all know its heartbreaking to witness.

He simply does not unserstand what is the right way to act. We have brought his statement review forward to the end of September and the EP is going to attend too. What I really need to know is what does everyone consider the best option for someone with AS who can cope (with the extra help) academically, but not socially. What is the best decision to make? Should we allow to carry on in mainstream school but become more and more alienated from everyone? Or should we move him to another school and run the risk of upsetting him, and would it set it him back? Would being with children who are possibly affected by autism more, set him back? We know he wouldnt be 'different' anymore, but would he gain from this or should he be the one who has to try and fit in?

There are so many questions .

Also - does anyone know of any schools in the Surrey/Spelthorne area, that cater for AS or Autism and social and communication skills in particular as I dont seem to be able to find out the names of any.

Any advice or info would be great

thanks

Here's a list of national schools from the NAS Surrey website.

http://www.mugsy.org/schools.htm

I thoroughly recommend NAS Surrey as an excellent source of info. Their email newsletter 4 times a year is a good read. I'm just over the Thames in Middlesex, so have never been to any of their meetings.

What about finding a social skills group?

Very difficult to give advice on whether to move or stay put. I know my son started showing signs of needing to change his setting at the beginning of Y4, but we chose to stay and make the best of it, in the meantime making a rock solid case for his Y7 placement.