Sign in to follow this  
Klou

4th Birthday

Hello

Hope everyone is ok. I have not been about much lately. Started my new job and my addiction to krism is having to be kirbed to get other things done.

Anyway I am at that point in the year when the birthday looms.

I am deciding whether to have it at home (with hired bouncy castle/games or something) or at the sports centre.

At home it is easier to organise but then there are all those children to deal with and the resulting fights over toys even with extra entertainments!

DS likes all his friends and I am only inviting those he plays with regularly. I am just not sure whether he really would like all his friends in his house at the same time.

The costs are about the same except it is better value at home because he can play with the equipment all day.

I hoped typing this would help me decided but I think words of wisdom from experienced minds are needed!

Cheers.

Personally I would go for the sports centre/soft play (anything not in the home) option.

Couple of reasons

Damage limitation - my sister had her daughters 7th birthday party at home, it was such a mess she had to replace the carpet :blink:

My sons reaction - I know from previous 'incidents' being the perfect host just isn't him.

Same cost but you can go home afterwards and relax.

Klou

Just like you my son's birthday is looming - end of the month!

As he is totally unaware what birthdays are and finds the whole thing confusing we are not having a get together. Luckily his birthday falls in the middle of our holiday to Ireland so that gets us out of that one! He has no idea what is going on. He won't even open his presents from us. Makes life a bit easier but if it was me I would definately not have it at home but as I haven't had one yet can't really help that much. Sorry.

:wacko:

Caroline

My ASD son has never wanted a party, always wants to do something else instead like goto a Sealife centre, done 200+ miles each birthday for the last 2 years.

Dh's response is similar to yours Lil me. Particularly the damage limitation!

We will still have to tidy up at the sports centre because they basically hire a room out for the tea party. So the physical tidying up will still have to happen.

How do I keep them occupied between tea and going home time at the sports centre. We would get to play for an hour and then go to another space (no toys) for the rest of the time.

Our local centre hires out the likes of bouncy castles, soft play etc with room hire, I was presssuming yours did the same, sorry. Tidying up still has to be done but there is a choice of activities they can provide. Other than that pass the parcel, musical chairs etc etc can keep them busy for a good while.

If we were to have a party I would book it at one of the local soft play areas, or the local McDonalds who do parties, much easier inc no mess to clear as they do it all.

I finally decided.

The leisure centre it is. This one gives you a party leader and seems a bit more co0ordinated than the other.

I think the deciding factor was the weather and the fact that ds is unpredictable. He may hate his sporty games/mini races party (though he loved sports day at nursery and all the practises they did!) but at least we won't have a bouncy castle sitting unused in our garden for most of the day or lots of mess to clear up before we can collapse with a cup of tea.

I think the other thing is that I seem to have spent the last three birthdays looking after everyone else and not watching my son or sorting out toy disputes and being the smiley hostess. This year I want to see him having fun.....fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed for you, I hope your little guy has a wonderful birthday >:D<<'> . I know its the option I would have chosen, I actually haddn't thought about the weather side with bouncy castles but we've had changable weather to say the least recently. Let us know how it goes :thumbs:

Edited by lil_me