Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Refused DLA

I'm fairly gutted this AM, not because of the extra money but filling in that form for the first time is ###### hard emotionally.

Reasons for being rejected are help with getting around (which we didn't claim for because he's only 2)

and B ) help with personal care with an hour or frequent attention to bodily functions (again he's 2 but is constipated and literally screams the house down when he goes, but its only a few days a week)

- continual supervision to avoid substantial danger to yourself or others. I take it his self harming and risk of choking etc aren't a danger to himself.

- at night, repeated or prolongued attention for bodily functions or to prevent harm. So obviously the fact that I'm up at least once if not twice a night with Logan doesn't count, and obviously the fact that he headbangs with a purpose in bed doesn't count, or gets so distressed if we dont go into him that he's sick doesn't count, or that he needs exactly the same routine at bedtime if we've any chance of him going down okay.

And thats without all the other stuff like him having no communication (doesn't talk or gesture).

I guess a few of you will know how I'm feeling though having done it. I'm going to appeal. I dont think I did things 100% right the first time as I filled in the form totally on my own, so I'm going to get help, and also get supporting letters from my HV, SLT (who has seen the choking and headbanging ect first hand) and from the head consultant. I think they may just have contacted my GP who knows of Logans problems but not to the extent the others do.

Any advice on appealing??

Lynne

Edited by LLaverty

Yes....DO IT!

I have said it before and I will say it again. Most applications, espcialy first time ones, will be turned down. Why? Because at that point many people shrug their shoulder, sigh, mutter something like 'Oh well' and leave it. The system counts on it. They make the whole appeal process sound so daunting that poeple think it is not worth the hassle. They haven't been believed the first time so why should they be believed the sceond?

As for filling in the form always fill it in with the worst day scenario to the front of your mind. You have no need to lie just tell it like it is. Use the day from hell...or the week from hell. Pull no punches. Write the answers to all the questions down on paper before filling in the form - photocopy it and do it that way if you prefer.

Do what you are already doing and gather as much supporting evidence as you can to back you up. Anybody will do, just as long as they can back up what you are saying. HV, GP are good...as are any 'professional'. Someone with good ASD knowledge AND are a professional will be a godsend.

Once you have all your responses writen out check them against each other and hone them. Stick in the bits you missed out (and you will) edit the bits you don't need. Then check it again and get someone else to check it too. Only when you

are totally happy commit pen to form.

HTH.

Thanks Phasmid. My husband is much more relaxed about it because he expected to be turned down first time round (he has a lot of faith in the system - not!). I think though because I was the one who filled in the form its like a slap in the face. Will definitely despute their decision though and not just leave it be.

Lynne x

I'd just like to add that you should ask for a 'statement of reasons' why you have been turned down. This helps focus your appeal.

Most people believe when they get the rejection letter that these are the reasons. They aren't. The bit you mention about mobility and care is just to emphasise what DLA is for. It is a stock letter and has nothing to do with your application.

You have a month in which to appeal, but if you ask for reasons, you get 14 days extra to read it and respond to what they say. Sometimes it is nothing to do with the form, it can be evidence from someone else, like your GP. Somewhere on your letter it will say what evidence has been used. Sometimes it is someone who doesn't know anything about your child, so it's worth checking!

If you put down in your answers that your child does something or needs help a few times a week, it will be disregarded. You have to demonstrate that your child needs more attention than another child his age most days. This is hard as most children this age need frequent attention to prevent danger.

What you have listed in your posting is what they need to hear. 'I need to check on my child on average 3 times per night due to danger from headbanging. I cannot leave him until he is asleep. This could take two hours', for example.

You need to be up at least twice to count for night time, or for a long period.

If your son gets bad constipation twice a week, how often do you need to take preventative action, eg encouraging your child to eat fruit, drink water etc. Take careful note of how often and for how long you need to help your child over a couple of days and write it in graphic detail. Diaries can be used as evidence.

Good luck

Thanks Shona. I did try to demonstrate why he needed more care than your average two year old but I'm not sure I worded things as well as I should have. I will call and ask for the reasons - thanks for that point. I think if they have contacted my GP as opposed to the consultant I suggested they contact he probably didn't give them that much info as he doesn't really know the scale of Logans problems, just that he has them.

Lynne

The DLA award system seems totally random and mind boggling. More so for younger children as they seem to assume they need 'looking after' anyway. We were fortunate in getting middle rate care for Adam on our first application. I found the DLA guide on the cerebra website really useful in how to fill out the form. We were fortunate too that they contacted nursery for supporting info and nursery knew what to write and how to phrase it. I'd heard that the DLA don't alwyas contact the person you put down for supplementary evidence and choose someone else so I spoke to my GP beforehand and he agree dif he was contacted he'd call me in to see him because as he admitted he knew very little about Adam's problems

Good luck and hope you get a positive result on appeal

Liz

Thanks Liz

It does seem very random as I remember S not getting it either! I'm going to talk to all the people I need to talk to tomorrow and start the appeal thing going - wish me luck!!

Lynne x

Yeah, good luck!

B)

If you have passed the 30 days, you can still get a late appeal if you demonstate why it took longer. You can also ask for a review at any stage if there has been a change of circumstances. If you need help, you know where to shout!

Shona xx