Sign in to follow this  
mrs q

LSA Hours..a few questions....please help

My son T has LSA funded hours. At the mo he is just part time so he is only using 15 hours out of 25 statemented hours.....where do the other ten go....

I want to extend his time at school....and just want to know where i stand on this

Also is his LSA suppose to stay with him all the time.....as the teacher feels she has another TA and sent her off to other tables etc....sometimes leaving T....she does not like this....but Teacher runs the class.....

The other day caused a problem.....T was feeling great and actually got sick....his LSA was on a different table and had to be shout at to get her attention to help T.....I feel that is wrong....i not saying he should be follow like a hawk...but it only his second week f schooland he has been given a statement so he needs support

Any help with this would be great

BTW T is in a mainstream school.

hi sorry I don't mean to but in as I can't answer your question. I was just curious but I thought that if a child is given so many hours of support for a statement that maybe I'm wrongly assuming this that the child has to go in for those hours. The reason I'm asking this is because I'm at the proposed statement stage. Ds has been given 15 hours and I'm trying to decide whether I should ask for more. But as ds is only 4 and will be the youngest in his year, I don't think he'll manage full-time. But I know it'll be difficult to increase his hours at a later stage.

I hope you don't mind me asking.

pim

I would write to the school and ask them specifically how they are deploying the 45 hours and whether or not your childs LSA has other duties.

You should also carefully check the wording in the statement, Some statements are very vaguely worded and give the head a lot of leeway to do what (s)he thinks fit.

Simon

Edited by mossgrove

45 hours?!!

they're not in school that long are they? :huh:

The LSA should, given 25 hours is full time, be with T all the time he is in class even if it is full time.

if the statement says dedicated or 1-1 LSA then the LSA must be with your child all that time, if not it will be up to the teacher to organise but even if the LSA is elsewhere in the class their first job should be to meet your child's needs.

It may be that there are times when T seems settled and focused or when it seems beneficial for him to be more independent of the LSA, eg. when engaging in social activities that he can manage such as small group or 1-1 play that it will be okay for him not to have the LSA sitting at his shoulder but I would say that if the LSA moves away, or is asked to do something else that they should always be in a position to be aware of T and his needs - ie always sit so that they can see him and respond to need if necessary.

However, if the LSA is unhappy about the situation then it is obviously not working and you do need to contact the senco - do be careful to not get the LSA involved, you want to keep her on your side, not get her into trouble for sharing her concerns with you.

as to all those extra hours - as long as T is getting what he needs let the school benefit from a few funded hours until they have to revert to T as his hours in school increase.

The only thing to worry about is if the senco seems unduely reluctant to increase T's hours (possibly because they will need to pull the LSA from other jobs but probably she is just being used as a general LSA in T's class so that she is there when he is) and you think he is ready.

My advice then would be ask for her reasons in writing and then take it further - you could talk to the ed psych ad advisor too, the can have quite a lot of influence.

It is T's right to be in school full time, if they try to keep him on part time when you feel he can cope with full time then they are excluding him - you obviously have had a part time arrangement to which I assume you agreed, if you did not agree then it is exclusion any way, if you did agree then you can withdraw that agreement any time.

Thanks for your replies....

Got T's IEP set for next wed.....first time I done a big one with MrQ ....

I just want them to take us seriously when we ask to increase his hours slowly....they want him to go part time till christmas and then come back full time straight away....

I think it should be done gradually, stay for one lunchtime...then build it up...to a full day...then two then three....so it not should a big shock after christmas ....when he is made to stay for lunch....

mrs q,Sep 23 2005, 01:09 PM

My son T has LSA funded hours.    At the mo he is just part time so he is only using 15 hours out of 25 statemented hours.....where do the other ten go....

Into general use at the moment I would think. In an ideal world it would be nice to think that the LSA would be allowed to use this time for training in ASD issues (if they are not fully 'up to speed' on them) and/or preperation of resources to support T when he is there. It is more likely that it will be the former rather than either of the two latter choices.

Also is his LSA suppose to stay with him all the time.....as the teacher feels she has another TA and sent her off to other tables etc....sometimes leaving T....she does not like this....but Teacher runs the class.....

A 1-1 LSAs primary function is 1-1, in other words their work should be driven by the needs of the child they are supporting. Eventually they will be trying to reduce the amount of support T needs...but this is 'a tad' early shall we say in this case! The TA is being put in a very akward position by the teachers actions here, more so if they are a new TA. Please do not take issue with them directly as they will only be acting under instructions. From the schools point of view they will want full value from the use of this TA. Sometimes this will see them being used to support small groups of children interacting with T - but T should still remain their primary focus.

The other day caused a problem.....T was feeling great and actually got sick....his LSA was on a different table and had to be shout at to get her attention to help T.....I feel that is wrong....i not saying he should be follow like a hawk...but it only his second week f schooland he has been given a statement so he needs support.

Quite rightly your alarm bells have started ringing about this.

I would also be seeking a (written) response from the head/senco about the level of support T is going to be getting based on the fact his statement has 'X' hours on it. I also think that you suggestion of a phased introduction into full time hours is a very sensible one. If the school are dead against and you are set on it and a compromise cannot be reached you may (both) need to seek further advice form the LEA.

Hope that helps.