Sign in to follow this  
pim

ds 4 has no left or right hand preference

I was reading the other thread about writing and dyspraxia with interest.

My ds, who is 4 has no right or left hand preference. He will try and draw using either his left or right hand. This is the same when using scissors or painting. When he's painting he'll pick up a brush in each hand and paint that way. The only thing he consistently uses his right hand is with the computer as it is set up in such a way that he has to. He has only just learnt to draw a straight line. He finds drawing difficult and he's reluctant to hold the pencil in the right way. I think his fine motor skills are good. He can thread beads, use the scissor and such and he is very physical. The nursery are not concerned as their target so far is to try and get him to fit in a bit more. The last 2 terms they just let him do whatever he wanted as long as he wasn't disruptive. This term as he has a LSA he is calmer and happier there.

SHould I be concerned and is there anything I can do to help? In January he's starting school. He's a clever boy. He puts up a fight about learning anything though.

I'd appreciate any advice.

pim

this is common in ASD kids - for some reason laterality (handedness - but there's a bit more to it than that as it includes feet, eyes and ears) can be confused but it is usually confirmed around 4 even so.

your son may have fine motor issues if his grip and handedness are not established yet - this is confusing when a child can do some fine motor things very effectively but not others - Com could cut really well but was hopeless with a pencil for a long time - but it does happen.

motor difficulties can run alongside ASDs (in fact, usually do) and dyspraxia is quite common.

try the thread on 'hands' in this section - :oops: you just did that, sorry

I think for the moment you need to keep an eye on it, our kids do have uneven patterns of development but most of them do struggle with writing in particular so picking up the problem and making sure school are aware that it may be an issue in the next year or so is good.

Zemanski

Edited by Zemanski

I have noticed this with Julian, got a nusery report yesterday which stated that Julian "draws with his right hand and colours with his left hand".

Uses his spoon and fork either way round too.

He has just turned four and can draw a perfect circle :clap: with either hand but can't do a straight line. :blink:

Working on lines at the moment - will see.

Supersec

My son has this also, a test revealed he had a faster left hand but wrote with his right. He also has no leading leg, ie he does,nt typically go up the stairs using the same foot/leg.We also have problems with stronger ear and eyes. Bi-lateral integration is supposed to help. An OT can advise and do the relevant checks.Good luck Suzex :thumbs:

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't realised an OT could be able to help with this.

How does a child decide which hand to use? Is it left to see what happens or is it decided for the child?

pim

the child decides - this should never be forced, the brain has to make up its own mind and false laterality can cause all sorts of problems later, my dad still suffers badly from being forced to become right handed in school

but if you think there is a slight preference for one hand you could encourage that a bit perhaps simply by placing tools etc to that side rather than the other more often.

remember though, life is much easier for right-handers, especially with writing so if it's just a little tendency to the left I'd leave well alone for the moment and let nature take its course.

Zemanski

pim. My youngest ASD son was/is like this. He is now right handed (aged 8) but was found to have severe confusion with left/right dominance in all areas; sight, auditory, kicking, writing. It's a real problem with ASD. My son has had vision therapy and sound therapy which has gone some way to improving it but not totally.

Lauren

if you want to check laterality across the whole body here's the unauthorised version of the tests:

hands - observe use of tools and pencils.

eyes - place tube (toilet roll inner) straight in front of child, ask them to look through it at some landmark/object, like a pirate might. observe which eye they put the tube to

ears - place quiet ticking watch in front of child, ask them to pick up the watch and put it near their ear so that they can hear it.

feet - place ball in front of child, ask them to kick it to you/at a target

repeat the activities but not immediately and not in order several times, you can substitute other activities which serve the same general purpose if you want some variety - looking down a microscope for example - and make sure the watch is very quiet so they do actually have to move it to hear it.

scissors are not a good indicator as most are designed for the right hand and feel more comfortable in that hand even for a left-hander (I know - I still pick them up right handed even though I can't use them that way because they fit so much better)

Zemanski

I wouldn't worry too much. I certainly wouldn't try and influence things. One of my twins was exactly the same. Watching him drove us nuts! He'd use one hand and then the other as the mood took him - often both at once! Even his teacher couldn't bear watching him. He just settled to using one (right) in the end. Interestingly my mum was naturally left handed but she went to school in the days when they 'encouraged' use of the right hand with the rapping of the knucles of the left hand with a ruler! Unless it continues and begins to cause a problem (which I doubt it will) I'd leave well alone.

My youngest (NT) uses both hands, he's 5 in January. His school teacher said it is fairly common for them to remain undecided for quite some time.