Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Dangerous Obsessions

Logan (2) is obsessed with plastic bags etc, basically anything thats made from plastic crinkly stuff. He has been for as long as I can remember. If he gets his hands on a biscuit wrapper or something in the morning, he'll keep it with him till bedtime. When the shopping is delivered (I do mine online as its easier than supermarket trauma!) he makes a beeline for it as its carrier bag heaven. If he sees a waste paper bucket with a bin liner in, he'll go for it.

Its not so much that but when he gets his hands on plastic, what he does is hide his face in it and rock :-( Obviously we do our best to ensure that he doesn't get his hands on it but its not so easy when we're not in our own house.

I've tried those tactile toys that have the crinkly fabric in the middle but he's just not interested so it must be the actual feeling of the plastic against himself.

Is there any way to discourage this type of thing or is it just a case of being vigilant ?

Lynne x

I dont think you will be able to stop this obsession. but you may be able move him on to something else of another obsesion. The way you describe it my guess is that he is reciving some sort of sesory stimulation from the bags. try buble wreab, velvet, statin, lycra. does he like tight fitting cloths that "cudle him". If you talk to him and find out you can move him on to a safer version. like any adiction , the more you try and stop the harder it gets.

best of luck

J

Edited by streamdreams

a friend who is an accident prevention officer told me to bunch up each plastic bag one by one and tie in a knot right in the middle.

Simple but effective way of stopping a child putting all of their head in.

how about punching little holes in any plastic bags that he might get hold off?

good luck !!!!

BTW my son's called Logan too.

-

Katya

I think our children are one and the same!!!

Jaden loves carrier bags and crisp packets :wacko: I think the suggestions so far are the way to go as I don't think there is a way of discouraging it - it's definitely a sensory thing.

Denisex