Sign in to follow this  
neda

Is there no straight answers????

Hi everybody.

EP done cognitive assessment on son but as son wasn't interested only managed to do part of it. Asked if any indications so far, he told me it doesn't happen that quickly (you don't say), he will need to have more observations and assessments. Highlighted that nursery say he needs one to one support. EP says this doesn't mean one-to-one as such, but he is watched more carefully within groups. I asked if that was the case why was my son working on different activities with one teacher whenever he is collected, whether he be working at computer or doing a jigsaw, he is rarely within the group. EP said if nursery needed help they would ask him. He called after assessment to say he had given nursery strategies to deal with behaviour in meantime, speak to them today and they say not received anything from him yet.

Aargh, and to top it off nursery have now asked if he can be moved from 1 nursery classroom to another as the other is quieter, the children are more settled and wait for it their special needs assistant will be able to work more closely with him, she can be my liaison point rather than asking different teachers and he is then being overseen by one person. Nursery believe he won't be ready to start school in August next year which means I need to defer him as well. If nursery can't deal with him and special needs assistant is required why is he not classed as priority. How come EP says he won't seem him now until the new year.

At least there is always the wee one to make me laugh, xmas tree is now up and has told me he is angel, climbs under the tree and stands up so branches with lights and beads are on him. So hard to tell him its wrong and not to do it when you are thinking at the same time it is just so cute.

Neda I'm sorry your finding it tough, it looks like your EP is a bit of a wet fish here. I think you need to sit down with nursery and go through exactly what they think he needs, ask them exactly what they have had from EP and get copies. Also ask nursery for copies of anything that they have written down about your son, this EP doesn't sound that interested, I would be tempted to go to your GP raise your concerns with him and insist on a referral to a Peaditrician (sp?) & CAMHS ...

Without being toooo cynical here, the EP works for the LEA, if he identifies ASD then that would mean a significant increase in the amount of ��� that would have to be allocated. Unfortunately the EP has an agenda, and it is not always the same as yours the parent.

HHxx

Neda

I agree with HH. My son had his first assessment done when he was 5, but because he was uninterested and wouldn't cooperate, we were told he was fine and of average ability. He had a further assessment done at 6 where we were told we should re-do the IQ test in a few years but they could see no behavioural problems. At age 8 he was assessed in the high ability range, with AS, Dyspraxia, ADHD and ODD.

Between those 3 years we had 3 years of constant crying and upset with relation to school and homework - we put it down to his being naughty as the experts had told us there was nothing wrong. Unfortunately, the school agreed with them.

You are lucky enough to at least have the support of the nursery - I'd ask them to compile a report and ask for re-assessment.

A

Between those 3 years we had 3 years of constant crying and upset with relation to school and homework - we put it down to his being naughty as the experts had told us there was nothing wrong. Unfortunately, the school agreed with them.

Neda we went through this as well T was only dx'd when he was 9 - 10, before that it was all my fault etc ...

The Every Child Matters mantra of the moment, bangs on about early intervention, the DfES COP goes on about it as well, I think the EP needs reminding of this.

The fact that the nursery are considering deferring his entry into school because of they can obviously see is SEN then this really needs to be brought home to the LEA and to a Peaditrician or Child Psychiatrist. Putting him back a year and just waiting and see what will happen isn't good enough. You both deserve more than this.

HHxx

Thanks guys

Agreed to nursery moving him to other classroom with extra support for 1 week trial period. Was in there yesterday and said he was great, he has come home today with his first picture for me and a xmas decoration to hang on the tree, as well as showing me the actions to twinkle twinkle. So many firsts on the same day for him. I'm going in to meet educational needs person tomorrow so I can be introduced and she will let me know about sort of work she is hoping to do with him and if there is anything specific she is doing which I can maybe use at home. A positive result for him and me but again it has come as a result of the nursery interest in him. Hadn't thought about asking nursery what was written about him, but I will be asking for a copy of this as the current head teacher is leaving in couple of weeks and she has been at the heart of all of this.

EP says he is only allocated 1/2 day per month to visit nursery and this is why there is large gaps between visits, but he has assured me today that Speech and language are also in working with him (which I did know) and he will then get feedback from them as well, so although he isn't there, other things are going on.

Decided to see how he goes in new classroom, wait for holidays to pass and see how he reacts to the change of routine then. Will start badgering EP again early January to ensure he is on top of this.

Thanks again for your comments, they are appreciated.