Sign in to follow this  
Lynden

Does anyone or their child have splints

L has hypotonia along with lax hip/ankles and is like a little elastic band - he's so flexible its scary. It has however hindered his mobility and he's not yet walking - he is taking steps though. We've had a physio for around 8 months but she doesn't do much bar observe - apparently its just time he needs. However we do have an appointment with orthotics this month as they think supports for his ankles would greatly aid his walking.

Anyone have any experience and did they help? Were they long term or short term?

Thanks

Lynne

Edited by LLaverty

Lynne,

My son went to Orthotics when he was 5 because his feet kept turning inwards. He ruined his shoes after about six weeks. Orthotics made plaster impressions of his feet and from these made insoles for his shoes.

He had another pair made when he was about 11 and has another appointment soon. They are great because with the insoles he does not now turn his feet in or ruin his shoes but without them he certainly would.

Beth :D

As a child my right foot would turn in whenever I walked, this gait was very obvious. I had a few appointments with a physiotherapist to try and correct the problem. I had to do some exercises in order to strengthen my ankle. I also had to wear scholls every day for 1 1/2 years to strengthen my instep - I would also wear the scholls in school. I had to constantly remind myself to straighten out my foot when walking. Even now, years later, my foot will turn in whenever I'm tired and have done too much walking, not that I'm aware of it... my husband points it out to me.

My son had special ankle boots that gave him extra support and I have continued to buy boots rather than shoes, although at 11 he doesn't need them really. He was 4 before he walked unsupported and about 8 before he could go upstairs on alternating feet. He still has difficulties coming downstairs, but I think that's a visual problem as much as anything.

The elasticity has improved very, very slowly.

My daughter who is NT was born with club foot.After 3 ops she wore surgical boots and splints.The orthotic dept will take a cast of the lower leg and make plastic splints to fit your sons foot and leg.Some splints have a hinge at the ankle.You will find it difficult to buy shoes to fit around the splint so he may need hospital shoes aswell.These are more fashionable for boys as they are like a hiking boot .My daughter runs skips and does everything a more able bodied person does in her splints.One thing to watch out for is wasteage of the calf muscle, maybe worth mentioning to the physio.My daughter has had to wear splints all her life so has very little calf muscle.The orthotics can also personalise the splints for you, we,ve had butterflies,bugs bunny and a rainbow.Good luck with everything Suzex.