Sign in to follow this  
MumTee

Opening presents

Hi all,

I'm interested to get some understanding of why my little boy (non-verbal ASD) isnt interested in opening presents - can anyone with or without an ASD shed any light on what his experience of being given a present to open might be?

I dont know if its because he doesnt like wrapping paper, surprises, if its something to do with object permanence, just because people are watching?......or something else entirely - If there's a better way to give him new things I'd like to try

Thanks in advance,

How old is he? My little lad is two and a half and had no comprehension there was anything special about Christmas Day. He went over to a couple of the presents once they'd been opened, but showed no interest in them whilst they were wrapped, or the decorations either.

Edited by Bullet

I thought it was because they don't like the surprise. It's not something they have control of i'm shore thats what they said in that program on tv what was it called :huh: Have you tried letting him help wrap presents with you. Or pick out presents for others. Another option is to let him pick his own presents for himself then he knows whats in them.

I may be totally wrong here, but I wondered whether The Boy doesn't open presents because he sees things so "literally".

What I mean is, does he realise that there is a toy for him underneath the wrapping?

If he just sees a box covered in wrapping paper, why should it be of any interest to him?

Once the paper is off & he can see the toy he is most certainly interested in the toy.

The thing is then that he still does not show interest in the next wrapped parcel.

Again, I wonder if this is because of his view of the world - just because the LAST wrapped parcel contained a toy, it doesn't follow (in his world) that the NEXT wrapped parcel contains a toy.

Am I making sense here?

Jill you posted what I was thinking. If you gave a child a cushion would they try to take the cover off? It's just an object, could be a brick for all they know.

Viper.