Sign in to follow this  
sue1957

Gravy powder without MSG?

We just thicken with cornflour.

What I ususlly do is take the roasting tin and add water. Put over the heat and scrape around all the sticky bits to get the maximum flavour. This also makes the gravy darker. Then I put three or four teaspoons of cornflour in a cup and add a small amount of cold water and stir until lump free. Pour it into the boiling water in the roasting tin and stir straight away. Boil for a couple of minutes to make sure the cornflour is cooked. Add salt and papper.

This will make at least a pint of gravy which I'm very frugal with - use half, save half. Chicken gravy truns out quite pale, but is still tasty. If you need it to go dark maybe some Tamari sauce?

This is why baddad calls me Delia.

We just thicken with cornflour.

What I ususlly do is take the roasting tin and add water. Put over the heat and scrape around all the sticky bits to get the maximum flavour. This also makes the gravy darker. Then I put three or four teaspoons of cornflour in a cup and add a small amount of cold water and stir until lump free. Pour it into the boiling water in the roasting tin and stir straight away. Boil for a couple of minutes to make sure the cornflour is cooked. Add salt and papper.

This will make at least a pint of gravy which I'm very frugal with - use half, save half. Chicken gravy truns out quite pale, but is still tasty. If you need it to go dark maybe some Tamari sauce?

This is why baddad calls me Delia.

Actually, that was a typo... I actually call you 'Delilah', 'cos I keep asking myself "Why, Why WHY??" ;)

Seriously, same as, and with chicken i usually stuff the bird with leeks/mushrooms and stuff then add lemon juice to the stock... Still comes out pale but Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

L&P

BD