bethlynette

Babysitters in Cambridge? Or nationwide?

Hi!

I just joined this forum tonight. Our son Sam was diagnosed with HFA last September. He's 3 1/2. My husband is going away overnight next week and will be home very late the following night and I'm very worried about my ability to cope for those evenings. We have a daughter who just turned 1. I've been looking at babysitting networks but they seem very expensive, I've just seen Sitters and Safehands, and one of them, I think it was Sitters, said they can't help kids with special needs. I pretty much lose my ability to cope around 6pm... ;)

We have only lived here for 2 years so I don't know anyone well enough to ask for help...

Thanks!

Beth

Hi beth, and welcome to the forum.

I'm really sorry I don't know of any baby sitting services at all.

I know exactly what you are going through though and really feel for you. My kids are a bit older now (13,12 and 9) but when the youngest was a few months old we went to live in America for a couple of years and I knew nobody at all. My husband was away alot and I was so overwhelmed being alone with 3 young children (my middle child who has AS and dyspraxia wasn't diagnosed at the time but was a real handful, and the baby who turned out to be HFA was not easy either). I used to plan for his business trips away with military precision. Some days I don't even think I had time to get washed.

It can be really scary being alone having to cope with young children.

I really hope someone comes along with some useful advice for you. All I can say is, make sure you have lots of shopping in and don't be hard on yourself ie, it doesn't matter if you're all still in pj's at lunch time :D

>:D<<'>

Lauren

Hi Beth,

Try this for Cambridge (I was given the info on diagnosis, but haven't tried them yet):

'Good Night' child sitting service, Barnwell Baptist Church, Howard Road, Cambridge CB5 8QS tel 01223 519220

It's free (or so it says on my little leaflet) and is specifically for children with a disability -- says it covers the city and rural areas out to Ely.

Hello and welcome, by the way -- I have a 9-yr-old with Aspergers, plus two very loud younger siblings.

Good luck,

L xxx

Beth

I remember feeling like you do now when our two eldest boys were similar ages (1 and 3, since diagnosed with Aspergers and ASD respectively) and my partner was working shifts.

One thing you may find is that you are better at it than you think you are. The answer for me was to keep as much structure as possible (Bath, drink/story, bed) and to find activities to break up large blocks of time. Cooking food in advance so you just need to 'heat and eat' will help too.

One think you culd do is go to a car boot sale this weekend and buy some toys/videos to distract them with when you do need to do something. Most of the boys video games come from ebay or car boot sales, and having a new game to wheel out can be very useful sometimes, likewise with dolls, books and toddler toys for tyhe younger ones.

Now our children are 2,4,6 and 8 and I am pretty relaxed when I look after all four of them on my own. It can get a little stressful when they all kick off at once, but I now belive I wil be OK and that is half the battle sometimes.

Good luck!

Simon

Hi Lauren!

Thanks so much for your response. That's kind of funny that you had the same sort of experience while in America because I'm actually from the States myself. I really am dreading it I think mostly because I'm so tired already and I know I will be even more tired than I can imagine.

Thanks for the understanding, kind words, and hugs!!!

Beth

Hi L!

Thanks SO much for the info about the "Good Night" service. I guess I've decided to try to muddle through this particular business trip but we just got the report from our last visit to the CDC today and me and dh have to take some time together, doctor's orders. :) So I will definitely give the service a call.

Thanks again!

Beth

Hi Simon!

Thanks so much for your reply. I did actually do some nights on my own many months ago but my dd was so much littler then and it was easier to get her to sleep. My HFA ds is very rigid about his bedtime routine now and that also makes it hard. I think I will just try to get through it but I sure am not looking forward to it. We will definitely cook in advance, and I plan to take some time to myself this weekend, maybe that'll help...

Thanks again for your support!

Beth