This is going to be difficult toexplain but Ill try, in the past and again last night my 9 yr old son became upset as he said he felt like I looked furthere away from him than I actually was and everything was moving quickly?

He s got grommets in and in the past i wondered whther it was to do with inner ear/ balance?

We re awaiting assessmemnt by paed as we ve been told he has traits of aspergers and auditory processing problems

Sometimes I wonder if I just jump on any traits he has?

Anycomments gratefully received! He also seems to have some sensory issues (clothing, likes big hugs, not noisy places,etc)

sounds like visual processing problems to me, but they are connected with auditory and can influence each other

When Com got his lenses he said everything seemed slower.

Zemanski

not heard of that, but hope u get an answer to it. good luck

Lisa. When I was younger the exact same thing used to happen to me. It happened a lot as a child but got less and less as a young adult and now doesn't happen at all. Everything would seem along way off, but the worst thing was that everything seemed to be moving really fast and violently. I could move my hand in front of my eyes really slowly but it would FEEL and look like it was moving really fast. I can't think of any other way of describing it other than that. I've often wondered what it was, but now I have two boys with ASD I can maybe put 2 and 2 together.

Lauren

Edited by Lauren

Hi, thanks for replies

Zemanski- what sort of lenses does your child have? He only complains of this infrequently- which makes me wonder if it is related to his hearing

Lauren- thats just how he describes it too!!!!!!

Lisa

Com went to Ian Jordan, Dot has just been booked in at one of his clinics, see

http://www.orthoscopics.com

Com now has blue lenses. He had irlen before but they didn't affect the same things, only gave him a bit more depth vision.

Com has serious visual perception differences and has a condition called prosopagnosia which means he cannot see a complete face. With his lenses he can see the outline of a face and more than one feature at a time. He also has significantly improved depth vision which means he can begin to learn to do things like cross roads safely.

We had no idea that the world was moving faster in his perception, no wonder he couldn't judge speed etc, until he saw Ian again a couple of weeks ago and told us that one of the best effects was that the world seems slower with the glasses on - presumably this means he is able to track things more efficiently. The thing with visual perception is that if your vision has always been that way then why would you tell anyone about it - you just assume it's normal - so often you don't realise you have a problem at all. I helped out at a teacher training session and there was an adult there who hadn't realised she had any visual differences at all; hers turned out to be quite marked and included similar facial recognition problems to Com's, she was well into her late twenties, possibly older and never realised there was anything wrong!

Zemanski

Thanks- and ta for the link- I think its more likely to be night terors as it only happens at night and he needs a lot of reassurance after

Very interesting though

Thanks

Lisa