Sign in to follow this  
london78

Volunteers Needed for Autism / Aspergers Research

Dear All,

Apologies if you think is in an inappropriate use of your forum.

I am nearing the end of my Doctorate in Clinical Psychology and my thesis is examining how people with a diagnosis of high functioning autism or Asperger Syndrome (over 16 years) successfully solve social problems as so much of the existing literature focuses on failures in this area.

The research is being supervised by Dr Matthew Jones Chesters (University of East London) and Prof. Francesca Happe (Institute of Psychiatry). The study has received ethical approval.

If you wanted to know more about volunteering for this research please email me (autism-research@hotmail.co.uk).

Many thanks for your time. Best wishes, Anna Caffrey

Hi and welcome. Phas Jr may want to do this, as a rule we are nearly always willing to help with research in this house, can you pm me with some more details please?

I believe if this is Autism research, then a 'serious diagnosis' will be required and that it must be a clinical diagnosis which determines absolute presence of Autism, not an educational diagnosis which determines educational services required. That would count me out, my diagnosis is educational and I don't have the resources that would allow me to get a clinical DX.

Anna

Do they have to have an 'official' diagnosis?

Debs

Hi,

Yes, unfortunately it will a require an 'official' diagnosis. A couple of participants who volunteered were certain they had an ASD and wanted a diagnosis. Via the contacts I gave them two of them did obtain a diagnosis of AS and are now participating.

Thanks for your reply, Anna

I don't have the resources that would allow me to get a clinical DX.

Hi Lucas,

What resources is it that you feel you would need to get a diagnosis?

Hi and welcome. Phas Jr may want to do this, as a rule we are nearly always willing to help with research in this house, can you pm me with some more details please?

Hi,

Thanks very much for this offer. If you email me at autism-research@hotmail.co.uk I will send you an information sheet as an attachment.

Speak soon, Anna