LizK

Low incidence special needs

Am reading the House of Commons SEN report and keep coming across the term low incidence. What is a low incidence special need? What does ASD come under?

Lx

Low incidence is something that isn't common. ASD's are considered high incidence because there are usually a number in any one school. Sometimes it helps to stress the comorbids rather than the ASD to get help since prosopagnosia or sensory integration dysfunction if dx'd separately are considered low incidence.

My son is considered low incidence because his high level of need, very low level of ability. ASD spans the SEN spectrum.

Generally, low IQ (under 60) makes it a low incidence SEN. They are putting together a national framework to make definitions consistent throughout the country.

Edited by call me jaded

Low incidence is something that isn't common. ASD's are considered high incidence because there are usually a number in any one school. Sometimes it helps to stress the comorbids rather than the ASD to get help since prosopagnosia or sensory integration dysfunction if dx'd separately are considered low incidence.

Tez please tell me what is prosopagnosia?Just wondered as have not come across the term before.Thanks Karen

Karen, Prosopagnosia is an inability to recognise faces. It was once thought to be extremely rare, but increasingly people with HFA are speakingout and talking about their difficulties with facial recgnition.