Sign in to follow this  
adamsmum

global devolpmental delay

i took kieran to see an ot today and after the hour an half session.she is going to suggest to consultant peadritrian?[spelling].that kieran has global devolpmental delay,does anyone know good site for this or has a relative diagnosed with it and can enlighten me on it.had a quick search on uk sites but they were more general delays.oh she rated kieran at 4 yrs.in general.he is 9 in feb.and is it connected to as,any replies in english please as we both have headaches now. :crying:

Hi, just quickly global developmental delay will be across the main areas of development: socialization, self help,cognitive,motor and language. To be a global delay will roughly mean that the child's skills will be at the same attainment level in all areas. Sometimes if a child has, for example, a language disorder their skills in the other areas may be at their chronological age level but their language level will be below that. The same applies if there was perhaps a motor problem (like cerebal palsy) but cognitively the child may be at their chronological age developmentally.

Remember a delay is that - a delay - it doesn't mean that your child will never attain or reach the skills his peers have, it means he will get them later.

Sometimes a child may need to be taught skills that others may just "pick up" by mixing with peers or from family life. An example of this is feeding skill, most children will progress from being fed with a spoon to feeding themselves to stabbing with a fork and so on alomost without anybody teaching them. How many toddlers grab the spoon from mum and say "I do it self!" Yet some children would still like to fed at 10 if only somebody would! So maybe the idea of self feeding may have to be suggested rather than let happen.

Hope this helps a bit anyway, be easy on yourself. Love Kat

'global' means 'overall' so your son is generally behind in all or most areas.

This isn't necessarily connected with an ASC (pervasive developmental delay usually is - means pretty much the same thing but the connection with autism is usually there) but it may be - sometimes now an initial general diagnosis is given which is later refined.

The thing is a child may be developmentally behind but still be progressing along the 'normal' patterns of development in which case the characteristics of autism are not there and there is more potential for children to 'catch up' over time because their developmental patterns are not unbalanced as much as those of children on the spectrum

Zemanski

Guest flutter

global development delay on paper will help peeps to support him appropriately for him, the danger for some kids is that if this is not seen, they can not be seen to get anywhere , it means that plans for him should be set just for him

x

Edited by flutter

Logan has global developmental delay - he's been assessed as being at around 12-18 months though he's 3 in a few weeks. What I tend to do is just use the 12/18 month as a guideline of what kind of activities etc I can do with him to bring him on. Its useful to know too for age appropriate activities.

Lynne xx