clintess

anyone heard about the row with gina ford?

Oh yes, I know about this!

Gina Ford is a former nanny to the rich and famous who published a book called "Contented Little Baby" that advocated having fairly rigid routines (eg no demand feeding, bedtime at a set time). This advice works for some babies, not for others, all infants are individual so it's been lauded and lambasted in pretty equal measure.

There is a website called Mumsnet where a few criticising comments about GF's methods were posted. One poster jokingly made a comment about GF strapping babies to missiles. GF took offence at this (fair enough, she's entitled to say if she's upset at negative comments) but rather than just asking for obviously libellious comments to be deleted she demanded the website be shut down and wanted costs. The site is run on a shoestring by eight parttime members of staff (who are mums themselves) and has 250, 000 members. The reaction of GF's lawyers to these few negative comments has meant that mumsnet has now asked that no mention of GF be made at all. Because of this other parenting sites (such as The Bad Mothers Club and Bounty have also had to ask members not to negatively mention GF. The BMC checked the situation and were told that criticism of GF's methods was ok, but not personal criticism directed at her. However, as Gf could claim that criticising her advice was a personal attack it's sort of a grey area.

There is a lot of anger and furore about this on the parenting sites. I am with them on this. For myself, who has probable Aspergers and finds talking to people in real life very difficult, parenting sites have been a godsend that have allowed me to ask questions, get advice, offer support myself and make friends. I made my first proper friend in nearly 30 years a couple of years back through talking to other mums on the site and finding one of them lived in the same town as me. I still can't phone her up for a chat or go out boozing with her (though we did go to a concert last year) but I now can invite her over for a chat or go over to her house now and again.

Edited by Bullet

I heard about this on the news, and it seems like she's taken this rather too far.

She's written a book about a highly emotive subject; she should have expected (even welcomed) considerable debate about her suggestions. Surely discussion of her book online, and now on national news, is more likely to increase sales, not decrease them.

It sounds as if the discussion on one particular website went a little over the top - but then the same probably happened on other websites and hasn't been noticed. In my opinion it would have been better to approach the websites in question, rather than diving in feet-first with a lawsuit.

In the autism online community I've seen people criticise certain individuals and organisations on message boards. It's worrying really, because I find it helpful in forming my own opinions to read other people's opinions. I'm sure it's the same for parents using Mumsnet. I hope that out of this debate will come a clearer understanding of what is and isn't acceptable to publish online. I certainly hope that it does not result in the closing down of this website, or mass self-censorship.