Sign in to follow this  
denise2

DLA change of award

I recently renewed our son's award for DLA. The new award has raised him from the middle rate care of DLA to the higher rate care of DLA, however it does not start until November. As our son has has the increased difficulties for over a year we expected it to start straight away.

I telephoned the DWP and a lady told me that it had been treated as a simple renewal and the person dealing with it has not realised the award has gone up. We have asked for written information regarding why it hasn't happened immediately but have been told our only way of getting the award immediately is to appeal.

Does anyone have any experience of this please?

Denise 2

I suspect it is because you are claiming for a renewal of DLA, i.e the period after his current award has expired. If you want it to increas now, you are appealing against/asking for a review of his current award which isn't the same process in DWP-land.

It works both ways though. J's DLA was recently reduced from higher rate to medium and we continued to get the higher rate until the end of the original term he was awarded the higher rate for.

Simon

I think that's what has happened, however I was checking as I have read on other guidelines that when an award changes they do have the ability to make the change immediately and I was told this was what should really have happened in this case. I have just spoken to them and they have told me that the only way to change the current award (not the renewal) is to complete all the forms again (that's not going to happen!!)and it will all go to a different decision maker who may reduce the amount of the award anyway.

It is so frustrating as it shouldn't really work on the opinion of a decision maker but the medical evidence accompanying the forms.

I think we'll just wait until November and be grateful his difficulties were recognised this time.

By awarding a higher rate they are saying from information provided your son should be entitled to it, and the form is based on what his condition is like now, not in November, I think they might be telling porkies, give your local Welfare Rights a call. If they were going to reduce the award I'm sure they'd do it immediately :angry:

Edited by lil_me