Sign in to follow this  
David Matthew Baker

The Tunstall Reservoir Experience

The Tunstall Reservoir Experience

Plop. Another fish jumps out of the water to catch a fly; water droplets explode into the air glistening in the warm rays of light. Underfoot, roots of trees creak as we plod slowly past. Higher up the birds chirp their warnings high among the budding branches. In the distance the magnificent splendour of the lower Wear Valley partly obscured by the haze. Flowers just emerging from their winter hideaways peak out from the forest mulch. I smile as I recall the solitary Heron majestically standing amongst the reeds. Perfection some would say.

Plodding though. Too slow for me. Let me soar from root to root, branch to branch, hopping merrily along the way. Others fade quickly into distance. Should I stop they?ll be fine. My heart is beating a stronger rhythm. The forest starts streaming by. All too soon I reach the overflow, promised to myself here I?d turn. So swiftly back again I waltz to rejoin my companions on their way.

Slowly again onwards we wander. Though less restless now am I. Till again the dam is again beneath me. Here they sit and soak the rays. Fiery tempest again does rise. Sitting here is not for me. Not to mention I am burning. Reclaim the shade I prithee thee. Off again we onwards wander. Too easily does this path slide by. In the distance the car does beckon, playing ?Peek a Boo? among the trees. A cry of pain restores me to my senses. Turning I find my friend upon the floor.

Up we try and help her. No good two people cry. Neither her nor my mum can manage even to take a few small strides. Off goes mum to explore my first aid box. I tell her little of use will she find there. Returning she tries to look hopeful but too true to my statement prove. Off for help was she about to head when two Knights in shinning armour did along the path appear.

Now their closer we bade them for assistance. Happily they do agree. Now a few hops and steps we muster. An interesting pair of Knights did we find. Both are obviously veterans of many long enduring campaigns. One is blind and acts as pathfinder for those who follow on behind. Merrily our enlarged party travels. A jester we have found. Eventually though too tired to continue my friend again asks to collapse upon the ground.

For the car my mum now goes. Between the trees she does manoeuvre to bring our goal nearer upon our road. Others now show interest and offer their assistance. A jovial gathering we are becoming. A chair appears but still no way to move onwards can be found. Defeated by the forest mum returns but knowing that I?m more confident sends me off to continue the progression.

The local ranger decides upon a different course of action. The next thing we know on is the race between land and air. Time drifts onwards. At every sound we strain to hear. One or two planes pass and make us gaze skywards but the ambulance is the first to appear. Up with lights a flashing does the latest help approach. Across the fence they then leap. Then the roar of rotors breaks the peaceful air.

Down across the hill the helicopter thunders. Across the reservoir it comes in low. Sending spray flying and covering us all in a refreshing dew. A boat wobbles beneath its down thrust. Back over head it goes. Now slowly round it comes again and surveys the land for a place to perch. Across wanders the paramedic. Looking like a military pilot in his airsuit. He talks to the ambulance crew and decides with them a course of action. By road will the journey onwards lye.

Back off goes the copter. Flying low then rising above the trees. We wave them off still laughing about the whole affair. Back to business a chair is fetched. Too hard to roll in many places so we all assist with lifts when needed. Appart from one who?d had a triple bypass and was excused by all. Eventually to the ambulance we succeeded to move our precious cargo.

A few more jokes around were passed then all on our way did head.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can probably tell had an interesting day. Friend is fine. It is just a very bad sprain. Is rather embarrassed that the air ambulance was scrambled though. I had a little fun getting car back out from between the trees but managed and then followed on behind. Stopping off to drop a note at the house of a couple due for tea at my friends that night. Mum also rang them to let them know. So they found out twice in quick succession. Still had tea. Just had to go with a takeaway instead of my friend cooking. All in all made the walk far more interesting. ;)

Sorry for the way this is written. I feel in a bit of a strange mood at the moment. Hope it brings some smiles in anycase. Never thought I'd hear of an air ambulance getting called out because of a sprain. :rolleyes: Helped add some extra interest to the walk in anycase. :D