#1 baddad

baddad

Everest

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10462 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:31 AM

Hi all -

Received this in a newsletter today, and I thought it could be useful for some.
It's freely available from the NAS, but unfortunately only by request and not as a direct link, which is why i've pasted it.

BD biggrin.gif

A Checklist for Alternative Therapies
(by Betsy Brua and Hanna Link)

The therapy

? How long has this therapy been used?
? How does the therapy work?
? What types of difficulties do the people who have received this therapy have?
? How many people with my child's disability have received this therapy and what were the results?
? What research is available that I can see which shows how effective this therapy is for people with my child's disability?
? How will you decide whether this therapy is appropriate for my child?
? Will you consult his/her GP/Other professionals for his/her medical/personal history?
? Is the therapy unsuitable for certain people? Who? Why?
? Are there any side-effects? If yes, what are they?
? How will you tell whether the therapy has been successful with my child? What signs will you look for?
? Will you compare his/her behaviour/condition before and after the therapy? How?
? Will you be following up my child at all to see if any change has been long-lasting?

The Therapist

? How long have you been using this therapy? How many people have you treated using this therapy?
? How were you trained in using this therapy? Who trained you? How long did the training last? What qualifications are needed to undergo training?
? Can I see your certificate?
? Does anyone still monitor you to see if you are still doing the therapy correctly?
? My child is?years old with problems in these areas:
Language
Behaviour
Learning
Etc (describe)

How many people have you treated who resemble my child and what were the results?

? Can you give me the names and contact details of any other parents/carers who have a child similar to my child who has received this therapy?

The arrangements for therapy

? How much will the therapy cost in total?
? Where will the therapy take place?
? Will I have to arrange transport/accommodation for myself and my child? How much will this cost?
? When will the therapy take place? Dates, times, time span, time off school?
? Do I have to pay for the therapy in advance?
? What happens if I wish to abandon the therapy before the course of treatment is completed? How much would I have to pay?
? Will we have a written agreement about the terms and conditions of the therapy?
? If my child gets worse can I have my money back? Will I be entitled to compensation?
? If my child's condition does not change after therapy, can I have my money back?

#2 smiley

smiley

Mt McKinley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4070 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 01:25 AM

(Shame they couldn't staple it to the front of a certain mag.......... devilred.gif)

Good guide tho' Bads - thanks for posting, i know of a couple of families who will find it very helpful smile.gif hug.gif

#3 Mumble

Mumble

K2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6814 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

Looks good BD - shame it's not more easily available actually. I guess once you've gone through that list you'll have a better idea of whether the person offering the 'therapy' is OK or not, depending on whether they are still standing there or have miraculously resembled a dust cloud in the distance!

QUOTE (smiley @ Mar 15 2008, 01:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
(Shame they couldn't staple it to the front of a certain mag.......... devilred.gif)

Oooh, but we could devilred.gif Between us, I think we have most of the country covered, so we could print it and slot it into the mags laughing.gif laughing.gif whistle.gif

#4 Karen A

Karen A

K2

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6084 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE (Mumble @ Mar 15 2008, 09:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks good BD - shame it's not more easily available actually. I guess once you've gone through that list you'll have a better idea of whether the person offering the 'therapy' is OK or not, depending on whether they are still standing there or have miraculously resembled a dust cloud in the distance!

Oooh, but we could devilred.gif Between us, I think we have most of the country covered, so we could print it and slot it into the mags laughing.gif laughing.gif whistle.gif

It would be a change from the usual pattern....people taking bits out of the weekend papers whilst noone is looking. laughing.gif laughing.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users