Sign in to follow this  
joanne1

DLA question

I received a letter from DLA today. It has been about 5 and half weeks since we applyed. It was to say that they can't give a decision yet because they have requested a report from school.

Is that good news or bad? Not done this before, so I just wondered if thats the norm!

Joanne

Edited by joanne1

I had a few letters saying they couldn't give me a decision yet. They have to keep you updated.

I think it's normal to speak to the school when the applicant is a child. Have you spoken to them about it at all? You may be able to influence how they fill in the form and make sure they don't miss anything out.

I received a letter from DLA today. It has been about 5 and half weeks since we applyed. It was to say that they can't give a decision yet because they have requested a report from school.

Is that good news or bad? Not done this before, so I just wondered if thats the norm!

Joanne

I was only aware in January from the psychiatrist that I could apply for DLA so did so at once as she turned 16 in march and we didn't want her to have a 1;1 assessment as she is in denial she has a problem. Heard nothing from them then come March received a letter stating that they would need to deal directly with her. I then phoned and spoke to a very helpful person saying that she was not capable of amking her own decision and how come she couldn't vote, couldn't drive, couldn't buy cigarettes but was able to make her own decisions with her state of mind. I said that I didn't want her assessed as it would make matters a whole lot worse. THey then said that they might let me become her appointed person. I then received a letter stating that they wanted more information and were writing to CAMHS. Yesterday, I received a phone call from the ssame person I dealt with to say that it had been approved and that they would not need to asssess her. I don't know what the psychiatrist wrote, but whatever it was it helped. She has been very helpful but I have a feeling that this is also because she got it so wrong 4 years ago when she said there wasn't a problem with my daughter.

So wanting more information seems to be the norm in my experience. Good luck.

Lisa

I did wonder if they explore it all before coming to a decision. Which i suppose is better than not looking into it. I havn't spoken to school about it, as I didn't realise I needed to. TBH they can only say the difficulties at school can't they. Which are plentiful, aggression, violence and refusal. I am not sure what else they could say. Should I have a word with them?

Joanne

Hi.I think that it is fairly routine for the DLA to request reports.We applied a few months ago.We were turned down initially but asked for a review.We were awarded middle rate care and lower rate mobility.At the time that we were first turned down most people who posted appeared to have been turned down and needed to ask for a review.So don't be too surprised if this happens.I think they think if they say no at first some people may not take it further.Karen.

I did wonder if they explore it all before coming to a decision. Which i suppose is better than not looking into it. I havn't spoken to school about it, as I didn't realise I needed to. TBH they can only say the difficulties at school can't they. Which are plentiful, aggression, violence and refusal. I am not sure what else they could say. Should I have a word with them?

Joanne

If you have any other professoional who could provide a report it is worth asking them for support.CAMHS,another consultant,an OT or any other professional who has knowledge of your daughters needs might be able to support you.The difficulty is that if school do not know how to answer the questions that can be interpreted as your child not needing help.The DLA evidence tends to be easier to supply where school are providing support for things like personal care in school.Where children have mental health needs or AS often people who are not used to completing the forms do not know what to include.

Ben was initially turned down because a report said he related well to adults....he relates very well to adults because he has an adult manner and vocabulary...he does not relate well to his peers at all well. :rolleyes: Karen.

Edited by Karen A

I THINK THAT ITS NORMAL FOR THEM TO CONTACT THE SCHOOL I KNOW THEY DID WHEN I PUT IN MY CLAIM IT TOOK ABOUT 10 WEEKS IN ALL BUT DONT WORRY AS THEY DO BACKDATE IT

If you have any other professoional who could provide a report it is worth asking them for support.CAMHS,another consultant,an OT or any other professional who has knowledge of your daughters needs might be able to support you.The difficulty is that if school do not know how to answer the questions that can be interpreted as your child not needing help.The DLA evidence tends to be easier to supply where school are providing support for things like personal care in school.Where children have mental health needs or AS often people who are not used to completing the forms do not know what to include.

Ben was initially turned down because a report said he related well to adults....he relates very well to adults because he has an adult manner and vocabulary...he does not relate well to his peers at all well. :rolleyes: Karen.

Camhs dx him and I am expecting report from them next week. They rang me the other day and said I should get it next week as school need it too. So I could send that as soon as I get it. Well a copy of it anyway.

The DLA did the same with me. I mentioned it to the SENCO around the time that I applied. They said they were contacting the school and a few weeks later I received the desicion, which was a really good one. I think they are just confirming with the school that your child is a handful and as hard to deal with as you say in the application. I wouldn't worry at all. I know others have posted because their children are really great at school but not so good at home but if the school are aware of your child and they have some problems there, then I would hope that the school would be truthful and only help your case. I hope they make the right decision for you and your family.

Edited by skye

My renewal form is in n they wrote saying they are awaiting a report from the school......what use it l be im not sure cos he has only been there 2 1/2 weeks.....did tell them but heyho!!!! Also told them to contact camhs n o/t etc but they didnt. :rolleyes: