Sign in to follow this  
baddad

Therapists...

Noticed last night that a person I thought was on a prog as an autism advisor was actually something called a 'Drama Therapist', and that got me thinking about this whole kulcha of 'therapists' that seems to be popping up.

While something like Speech Therapist makes sense, where does 'therapy' become 'hobby', and where does the disticnction come between making progress by having something positive and interseting and social and exciting and rewarding in your life and, erm 'therapy'?

So to get the ball rolling 'Wii Fit / Wii Sports therapy'. Good for the body, good for the mind. Teaches and rewards life skills (health and nutrition) and social skills/sharing/'sportmanship'/negotiation etc etc etc/// Half an hour a day as golden time, and who knows, maybe after a bit a couple of extra remotes and some school chums on a regular basis to expand it out into a social network.

Any other ideas?

My favourite is 'R&ST' - Reward and Sanction Therapy which dovetails with ECT (Expectation and Consequence Therapy)

L&P

BD :D

Slight tangent maybe, but has anyone noticed the increasing apoplication of the word "Therapy" to any bog -standard unction or emollient you might buy from the local chemist/supermarket? :rolleyes:

For example, I used to buy "hand cream" - now I have a tube of "Hand and Nail Therapy" on my dressing table. Body lotion is now "Skin Therapy". And instead of "bubble bath it's "Bath Therapy". By adding a touch of the exotic: i.e. adding a baobab and a giraffe to the label and calling it "African Bath Therapy", the allure of the product is further increased.

Presumably this suggests the product has particular healing and er.. therapeutic powers? It hasn't just been dolloped into a bottle by a machine in a factory - it has been carefully put together by people who care about your wellbeing.

Actually I quite like this idea. An ordinary teabag could become "Caffeine Therapy". And I would feel a lot less guilty about munching handfuls of the jellybeans next to me if the tub was labelled "Sucrose Therapy". :D

K x

Edited by Kathryn

You mean my secret celeb magazine reading could be scoffer-therapy? Liking this.

The head of S&LT at my PCT refuses to 'therapise' ASD children, as what is learnt in an artificial setting rarely transfers to a RL one. So...

stacking the dishwasher = clearoptherapy

mopping the floor = swampotherapy

a bit of hoovering = dysonetics

cleaning the grouting on the bathroom tiles with an old toothbrush = obsessive compulsive therapy

Treacle sponge pudding - syrupy therapy!

Watching telly - ocular/neural stimulation therapy

Farting - Aromatherapy (be honest now, it's only other peoples that are offesnsive!)

Parenting - Primal Scream therapy

Listening to Primal Scream - Music therapy

:D

Noticed last night that a person I thought was on a prog as an autism advisor was actually something called a 'Drama Therapist', and that got me thinking about this whole kulcha of 'therapists' that seems to be popping up.

While something like Speech Therapist makes sense, where does 'therapy' become 'hobby', and where does the disticnction come between making progress by having something positive and interseting and social and exciting and rewarding in your life and, erm 'therapy'?

So to get the ball rolling 'Wii Fit / Wii Sports therapy'. Good for the body, good for the mind. Teaches and rewards life skills (health and nutrition) and social skills/sharing/'sportmanship'/negotiation etc etc etc/// Half an hour a day as golden time, and who knows, maybe after a bit a couple of extra remotes and some school chums on a regular basis to expand it out into a social network.

Any other ideas?

My favourite is 'R&ST' - Reward and Sanction Therapy which dovetails with ECT (Expectation and Consequence Therapy)

baddad, ant what about Listeningg Therapies? You said "Speech Therapist makes sense". I wonder if you could help me decide whether something like Listening Therapies also makes sense :) you see, I have a younger brother who lives in US and my mother wants him to take sessions in TLP (I've found some review on the blog about sensory therapies, http://www.sensory-therapies.com/review/the-listening-program-tlp/ - but I would love to read more about it).

If you can, please help me to decide - I will share information with my Mother.