Sign in to follow this  
Tez

Toileting Issues

My 13 year old AS son has always had toileting issues. He wasn't out of nappies until 5 because he was afraid of the toilet and even now at 13 will rarely use the toilet without someone talking to him to take his mind off it when he uses it.

Things become really difficult when we are away from home because he will refuse point blank to use many toilets and will "hold on" to anything that he needs to do, sometimes for days, making himself ill. It's not so bad when we are with it because we can usually hunt around till we can find a toilet he will use with support, but on school trips and the weekend scout camp he went on he doesn't get such support and adults are unaware that he has a problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone have any ideas on how to overcome it. Not surprisingly rational talk doesn't work!

Hi Tez,

My son has major issues with toileting. He keeps it in for WEEKS!!!. Normally, he can have laxatives coming out of his ears and still keep it in. Normally we have to find the cause of his anxiety.

He said when he is sad it makes him feel good!

He also has an issue with other peoples germs so maybe you could try antiseptic wipes etc for strange toilets. I have read different theories on why some kids hold it in including, the fact that it is dirt that could touch their body on the way out.

I think it is something that is probably more problematic than we think and I hope someone can give some guidance - I can only suggest attacking it from the germ side of things.

HelenL

hi Tez,

Yes we have this problem too: L will never use a strange toilet these days, a problem which has only developed in the past year. As she hasn't been to many places in the past few months due to her extreme depression, this hasn't been such an issue, but it may well become one. She is fearful of germs: she has an elaborate ritual when she uses the bathroom at home anyway. She managd to use a toilet during a hospital appointment - only because she was desperate and as it was a hospital she reasoned that it would be clean! She wouldn't touch anything without pulling her sleeves down over her hands to protect them.

I wish I had some advice to offer, I hope you find a solution to this one.

K